SHOP WINDOW AUTOMATONS

Heartshome

Do you remember the advertising trade Automatons, that often used to be in the shop windows of Bakers or Cobblers?

The little model cobbler would have a hammer hitting nail in a boot heel, and the model baker would look like he was kneading bread dough. 

They used to fascinate me as a little one, you just don't see them now which is a shame!

Regards Heartshome                                                          

• Like 1

Not exactly Shop Window Automatons,

Weston Park Museum. 

See the Pawn Broker, File Cutter & Silversmith "work" 

https://www.fourteenballstoy.co.uk/westonpark.htm

Does the Automaton Clock in Orchard Square still Work? 

Clock Tower (known as a 'clockjack') in Orchard Square shopping centre, where on the hour, moving figures of a grinder and buffer girl appear.w00680.jpg.fbd3190f7ec68ab5ad9bc7d0ca6ce1c4.jpgw00680

• Like 1

I remember the cobbler ones and, as a slightly cynical kid, I would think that his hammer was miles away from the shoe nail he was supposed to be banging into the heel of that boot. It was no wonder that he never finished 'fixing' the same one.

I enjoy watching the motorcycle engineer Allen Millyard's YouTube channel. He usually has a shot and mention of a similar 'Charley Weaver - Bartender' automaton who has alcohol flushed cheeks and raises a glass towards his mouth. That's more of a toy than a shop window model and is based on a character created by US comedian Cliff Arquette (who was a bit before my time ).

• Like 1