HALIBORANGE

Heartshome

Hi all.

Anyone else get given HALIBORANGE chewable tablets in the Winter? Talking from 1950s when they went on sale!

Mum gave them me not only for the Vitamin C, but apparently to boost the Vitamin D intake, as over Winter, we have

less Sunshine for our little bod's to absorb.

Prior to that it was a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil! yuk!

Regards Heartshome

41 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi all.

Anyone else get given HALIBORANGE chewable tablets in the Winter? Talking from 1950s when they went on sale!

Mum gave them me not only for the Vitamin C, but apparently to boost the Vitamin D intake, as over Winter, we have

less Sunshine for our little bod's to absorb.

Prior to that it was a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil! yuk!

Regards Heartshome

The company is still going .   ----   https://www.haliborange.com/

halib.png

81kqMvWkr4L.jpg

• Like 1

They sure are! started in the 1930s. 

It's good, to see a long established company still on the go, and vibrant with it!

They must have furnished thousands of children with Vitamins over their time!   H 😊

Cod liver oil and malt ,spooned out of a jar and welfare orange juice were my dietary supplements plus sun ray lamp treatment at a Clinic on Orchard Street….. I where we sat in a circle  ,stripped down to our vests and pants, wearing dark eye glasses  whilst some device in the centre of the circle presumably issued ultra violet light.

13 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

And Delrosa, rose hip syrup

Promotional film   https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-roses-and-vitamins-1956-online

del_r.h.s..jpg

I remember Delrosa, do they still produce it? Not so lucky to have it on ice-cream but a couple of spoonfuls was administered. They'd probably claim now the sugar content would rot your teeth. 

A quick search shows that it’s still going strong in the USA and Australia but not available in U.K.

Anyone remember the foul tasting Fennings Fever mixture and Phospherine tablets?

19 hours ago, Heartshome said:

They sure are! started in the 1930s. 

It's good, to see a long established company still on the go, and vibrant with it!

They must have furnished thousands of children with Vitamins over their time!   H 😊

Haliborange1935.png.09656fc013a01b30848077dea483c6bf.png

• Like 1

Thanks Edmund! It's a well thought out advert! No need for it being in colour either. 

It did exactly what it said on the bottle! 

Heartshome ☺️

On 02/12/2023 at 08:52, Lysanderix said:

Halibut is a fairly rare species and, as a result, expensive. I wonder if it is still a component of Haliborange?

Hia. The ingredients state 'Fish oil', but it does not state what type of fish. My guess it will be Cod Liver Oil.

Regards H

Holland and Barrett have a product:

"Holland & Barrett Halibut Liver Oil Capsules contain Halibut Liver Oil, which is a natural source of vitamins A and D. Vitamin A is important in the maintenance of normal skin, vision and immune system function, whilst vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal bones, teeth and muscle function.

Halibut Liver Oil with Vitamins A and D 

Supports The Maintenance of Normal Skin, Vision, and Immune System Function. 

Contributes To the Maintenance of Normal Bones, Teeth and Muscle Function."

Hi, I was referring to the 1935 advert which specified “ halibut liver oil”. I imagine you are correct and the current version contains any old fish oil…..whiting, pollock perhaps!

Along with my siblings a daily spoon full of malt and a dose of cod liver oil was the order of the day in the 50s.

Remember mum coming home with some cod liver oil capsules for us to take,  I had competitions with my brother to see who could keep a capsule on their tongue for the longest time before it dissolved.

11 hours ago, southside said:

Along with my siblings a daily spoon full of malt and a dose of cod liver oil was the order of the day in the 50s.

Remember mum coming home with some cod liver oil capsules for us to take,  I had competitions with my brother to see who could keep a capsule on their tongue for the longest time before it dissolved.

You were a brave lot!!

12 hours ago, Heartshome said:

You were a brave lot!!

I had malt every morning and when I had my own children in the sixties Haliborange was given every morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tozzin said:

I had malt every morning and when I had my own children in the sixties Haliborange was given every morning.

Only in the Winter! I had the Haliborange in the morning, and Horlicks or Milk & Honey at night x

My dad never measured out cod liver oil out for himself he just took a swing before he went to work, it seemed to help in winter when working on building sites.

I was a war baby and we lived, like so many others at that time of housing shortage, with in laws. Gran secretly dosed me with Milk Stout whenever I was “ off colour”. I quickly realised it was a pleasant drink…little wonder I was frequently “ off colour”..

I still enjoy the odd Mackeson!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Only in the Winter! I had the Haliborange in the morning, and Horlicks or Milk & Honey at night x

Haliborange! That was a blast from the past! I'm pretty sure I was given Haliborange tablets in the cold winter mornings before doing my pre-school morning paper round. Later, I remember the cod liver oil capsules. Now I'm vegetarian I wouldn't touch cod liver oil, but back then it was just a name!

Yes I believe olive oil has (in my opinion) more acceptable qualities, as studies have shown that the Mediterranean diet, rich in olive oil and with many natural products, is better for heart protection than our dairy-rich and animal product diet. 

They also consume fish, and shellfish ,both of which I understand are good for the general health of an individual as is a daily spoonful of olive oil🙂