Advice regarding address research

Andrea B

Hello

I'm trying to unlock a family mystery and I hope by researching some addresses, who lived there etc in certain years will help me. Any information that would shed light. 

I would like advice on which records would give be the best information. I’m assuming it would involve a trip to the local studies library so I would like to have a plan before I make the journey to Sheffield.

The addresses and years are;

1876 12 ct 17h Bernard St

1887 Castle Court 7 Sylvester Lane

1887 8 Castle Yard, could be 251 or 285

1891 32 ct 3h Fitzwilliam St

1909 1 Regent Lane

1913 25 ct 3h Thomas Street

Also was there a different numbering system also use such as for example 13 house 2 court also referred to as 250.

Many thanks! 

The two main sources that you can look at are the Directories of Sheffield. These might be on the shelves in the L.S.L. They cover all the years you mention. They will only give you one name per household.  The more detailed, but problematic, are the census returns. These are only every ten years and the nearest years are 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911.  These list the entire household for each property.  There are two options for these, you can access them from the Central Library or you can use a Family History site. You don't have to pay a full fee, as you can pay a one-off fee for access to the census. I believe you can access for free family history sites at the Central Library, but check with them first. Getting on the Computers could be a problem when they are busy.   

From what I remember, the 1881 census - available through familysearch.org - lists  street names.

I believe that Ancestry can be accessed via public libraries, not just in Sheffield.

The British Newspaper Archive may be some help in giving clues to a story. There will be a short excerpt, but it will tell you the publication, date, page and column.

20 hours ago, Hopman said:

From what I remember, the 1881 census - available through familysearch.org - lists  street names.

I believe that Ancestry can be accessed via public libraries, not just in Sheffield.

The British Newspaper Archive may be some help in giving clues to a story. There will be a short excerpt, but it will tell you the publication, date, page and column.

Thank you! Much appreciated 

On 29/11/2023 at 19:36, History dude said:

The two main sources that you can look at are the Directories of Sheffield. These might be on the shelves in the L.S.L. They cover all the years you mention. They will only give you one name per household.  The more detailed, but problematic, are the census returns. These are only every ten years and the nearest years are 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911.  These list the entire household for each property.  There are two options for these, you can access them from the Central Library or you can use a Family History site. You don't have to pay a full fee, as you can pay a one-off fee for access to the census. I believe you can access for free family history sites at the Central Library, but check with them first. Getting on the Computers could be a problem when they are busy.   

Thanks. That’s a great help. 

On 29/11/2023 at 23:32, Edmund said:

Rate books may help:

Sheffield Rate Books

Thank you. I’ll look into this. This seems my best bet. If I knew the owner of the houses or at least the head, it could help me solve the mystery. I’ve looked at census records where I could but it hasn’t given me the info I needed.