Unidentified Houses

Ponytail

On 03/11/2023 at 21:57, Ponytail said:

Greystones Cottages on Unidentified Road. 

u03258.jpg.8358216120b7d7134f80d1b752abe36b.jpgu03258

No match found in Greystones area. 

Suggest a Census Search for Greystones Cottages. 

Hi ponytail. did that. Came up with Greystones, Highgate, Tinsley. 1880  to 1968

but the Tinsley property was nothing like this at all, and it was lately used as a Child Welfare Clinic.

My friend who knows the Greystones area from when she was younger, remembers an old cottage

very similar from years ago, but can't be positive where. Note! the backs of tall large houses obviously

on a road, in the background between the trees.

To Archaeo. Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU, to you for the information on the buildings.

The info has solved the mysteries of many hours searching for these properties, that never came to light for some reason.

It is very much appreciated.              Regards Heartshome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi ponytail. did that. Came up with Greystones, Highgate, Tinsley. 1880  to 1968

but the Tinsley property was nothing like this at all, and it was lately used as a Child Welfare Clinic.

My friend who knows the Greystones area from when she was younger, remembers an old cottage

very similar from years ago, but can't be positive where. Note! the backs of tall large houses obviously

on a road, in the background between the trees.

I think its on the left hand side of Greystones road going downhill (towards Ecclesall Road).  Marked in yellow on this map (it's katy cornered with the road, looks to be part of the Cliffe House estate. 

Greystones1892.png.6953307aa5a933bb3c4b716f306cc5c4.png

There is a distinctive line horizontally across the gable end (guttering?),  see also Cliffe House Farm, on left, behind trees  and this painting (though chimney on gable end is a discrepancy):

CottagesGreystones1870.png.46eddb8fa143f60db5bc2432ce39b336.png

Replaced by this house (yellow arrow Britain From Above) by 1950:

Greystones1950.png.ebe415f7758f3f222ecbcdf3ab94b800.png

Hi Edmund. I get where your coming from, but it isn't this one.

Go to Picture Sheffield y00398 for a Full Photo of the same house which looks like brick

and it does have the chimney on the end.

Ok regards Heartshome

8 hours ago, Edmund said:

I think its on the left hand side of Greystones road going downhill (towards Ecclesall Road).  Marked in yellow on this map (it's katy cornered with the road, looks to be part of the Cliffe House estate. 

Greystones1892.png.6953307aa5a933bb3c4b716f306cc5c4.png

There is a distinctive line horizontally across the gable end (guttering?),  see also Cliffe House Farm, on left, behind trees  and this painting (though chimney on gable end is a discrepancy):

CottagesGreystones1870.png.46eddb8fa143f60db5bc2432ce39b336.png

Replaced by this house (yellow arrow Britain From Above) by 1950:

Greystones1950.png.ebe415f7758f3f222ecbcdf3ab94b800.png

Thanks Edmund for the suggestion. The unidentified Greystones Cottages appears to be a larger premise than the one you've very helpfully marked in yellow. (Unless there is another property in close proximity)

The entrance to a property and the street light pose another problem. In the photograph there is an entrance from the road to the right with a gas lamp outside. On the map, the entrance is up a small "drive" and a sharp right into the property from the road. 

Looking at the map I've considered an entrance to The Grange, marked in red.

IMG_20231106_170018.png.2681e8b1f924e6c055b338c8dac6734c.png

I'm open to any suggestion. 

Regarding "Greystones Cottages."

The Grange, Greystones Road. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s29376&pos=4&action=zoom&id=53670

The Grange is a large 3 storey building; very faintly the background of the "Greystones Cottage" there is a larger building. 

IMG_20231106_171830.jpg.160d65954bd1c023112ddcc6a24559db.jpg

Just a possibility I'm throwing into the ring. 

Hi Ponytail. If it was on this side of the road here, the hill would be going steeply down to the left.

Where the newer properties are now down from the pub. The access drive to the rear with a name plate on the wall saying

Greystones Grange, is between 129A & 129B.

There is still part of a high stone wall attached to the side of 129A                       Regards H

• Thanks 1

On 03/11/2023 at 19:52, Archaeo said:

Sheffield Royal Infirmary

I believe this is one of the entrances of the housing block on the park, now called HERITAGE HOUSE.

Heritage House is in 2 parts and is L shaped.  This entrance faces on to the side of the arched Tesco entrance.

Regards H

On 03/11/2023 at 17:40, Heartshome said:

Hi. I did a 3month study on William Higgitt/Higgett. I found where the family had lived from first coming to Sheffield, till his death and his son's.

None of the addresses were Yew Lane. 

Hello Heartshome. My great, great grandfather is William Higgitt of Sheffield.  I have been looking for information about William Higgitt in Sheffield for a long time. I would be extremely grateful if you could share the results of your 3-month study on William Higgitt.  Please tell me how I might be able to communicate with you in some way other than this open, public board. I would try to compensate you for your time and knowledge, if you can provide it. Hope to hear from you soon. -Sincerely, RH.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Higgitt said:

Hello Heartshome. My great, great grandfather is William Higgitt of Sheffield.  I have been looking for information about William Higgitt in Sheffield for a long time. I would be extremely grateful if you could share the results of your 3-month study on William Higgitt.  Please tell me how I might be able to communicate with you in some way other than this open, public board. I would try to compensate you for your time and knowledge, if you can provide it. Hope to hear from you soon. -Sincerely, RH.

Hello, the forum has a personal message facility

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 08-36-51 Sheffield History - Sheffield Memories.png

7 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Hello, the forum has a personal message facility

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 08-36-51 Sheffield History - Sheffield Memories.png

It apparently doesn't work for newbies: "Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages. You are required to have at least 25 content items count before using this functionality." I don't even know what a "content items count" is.  If I have to repeat my singular message another 24 times just to be able to send the same message privately, seems a little silly to me.  This SheffieldHistory site seems very strict.  I even got locked out for a spell when trying to Sign Up.  

7 hours ago, Ryan Higgitt said:

Hi Ryan. I will try and sort it for you. Regards Heartshome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Higgitt said:

It apparently doesn't work for newbies: "Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages. You are required to have at least 25 content items count before using this functionality." I don't even know what a "content items count" is.  If I have to repeat my singular message another 24 times just to be able to send the same message privately, seems a little silly to me.  This SheffieldHistory site seems very strict.  I even got locked out for a spell when trying to Sign Up.  

Hello, I do not make the rules, the "25 content" refers to the number of posts made by a new member, the reason being, it is to stop spammers from sending private messages (pm's) to existing members, it is set like that for site security reasons.

• Like 1

Unidentified House, Ranmoor. 

s44544.jpg.1bb56196b3d01098cf647f19817d44d2.jpgs44544

Date Period:1980-1999

Photographer: SCC Engineer and Surveyors Dept. 

Unidentified House, supposed to be at Crookes, however maps of the 1900s do not show houses matching the architecture of this building. It was suggested it was near the slaughter houses. 

s08010.jpg.a71a245c05ff7883bdda4850a26b5c8f.jpgs08010

w00303.jpg.9531979fed3e762d63d22b59ab5f7343.jpgw00303

There was one slaughter house at 119 Crookes, behind the lock-up butchers shop,

which had a holding pen at the side of it.

I have a strong suspicion, this isn't Crookes! But it would be a great help IF the family could be identified.

11 hours ago, Heartshome said:

There was one slaughter house at 119 Crookes, behind the lock-up butchers shop,

which had a holding pen at the side of it.

I have a strong suspicion, this isn't Crookes! But it would be a great help IF the family could be identified.

No identity to the family, it's one of those Picture Sheffield images unidentified for a number of years. 

Image s08010 indicates it was in the Main collection mounted on card. Any information with the image would have been recorded with the image when it was mounted and catalogued.

Image w00303 indicates the image was taken from a negative, probably a slide. Looking at the sequence before and after w00303 it doesn't appear to come from family donations, or any particular area, probably random slides in the collection, scanned in an order for ease of processing onto Picture Sheffield. 

w00298, Dore Moor Inn; w00299, Whirlow Bridge Inn; w00300, Cross Scythes Hotel; w00301 St. Paul's Church prior to construction of Town Hall; w00302, Cathedral. 

w00304, Leather Mill Wheel, Whiteley Woods; w00305, St. Mary's, Ecclesfield; w00306, Queen Victoria opening of Townhall; w00307, Queen V opening of Town Hall; w00308, Queen V opening of Town Hall. 

Unidentified House & Road. 

Bounty Lane written on back of photograph but unable to find this location. 

t02554.jpg.618c90ef06772baf391385599cc87fb9.jpgt02554

YES! have researched all of these 'unidentified' during the past 5 years.

Was so grateful to Arch, who found the 'others' that weren't in Sheffield.

I suspect! the same could be case here! The answer as to their whereabouts must be somewhere!

Regards Heartshome