Joseph Allen & Sons Non*XLL Mark on Folding Knife

Kalfred

Hello, I found an auction image of a folding knife online.

JosephAllenSonsNonXLL.jpg.30196387b5a356332a81a8691ce93a79.jpg

JosephAllenSonsNonXLLcopy.jpg.222094ace12439c773e88675703dae83.jpg

It interested me in several ways. It carried the broad arrow mark on its handle with the date 1947 and the blade was marked with the "Non*XLL" trademark which I thought belonged to a Sheffield company other than Joseph Allen & Sons (It seems however that "Allens" did own that "Non XLL" mark, having acquired it in 1883 from Unwin & Rodgers who had themselves taken it from William Broadhurst’s concern around 1860.). 

An Item with a broad arrow mark on indicates that the item was made for "Government" order and was usually associated with military stuff. This folding knife however, has "GPO" on it, presumably, indicating "General Post Office". Does anyone know if this was the usual case with "GPO" items or just in the War or the early post War years when this knife was dated? Are there any members on the Forum who have knowledge of the history of the GPO to help? 

Kalfred    

• Like 1

The folding knife shown plus other multi blade knives were made in their thousands to government order by many Sheffield cutlers. I have 2 made by Thomas Ellin & co (distant relative) that were issued to 'Tommys' during WWII and had 2 blades plus a thick marlin spike which had multiple uses.

All were made to the same pattern with the crow's foot stamped on them, the only difference between them was the cutler's name, otherwise they were identical. All had black resin scales as shown above.

Jay.

Hello, thank you Tozzin for the added injection of information on the John Allen concern. I like you Bildeborg have seen plenty of WWII broad arrow marked knives, but this is a knife additionally marked as GPO. Are you thinking it was excess War Department stock just given to the Post Office? The scales on this knife do not seem to me to be as you typically see them. They seem to be "flattened" and have square mesh pattern. I will admit that I have mainly seen the marlin spike multi blade type knife when viewing auctions.

Kalfred  

The 1941 marked folding knife, show below, with a damaged broad arrow I saw at an auction view last weekend.

TaylorsEyeWitnessWarDept1941.jpg.21496e255b3b876a4b50ab0458fb770d.jpg

To me these seem the more typically "military" scales. From the image on the blade base it is obviously a Taylor's Eye Witness knife. In 1941 "Needham, Veall & Tyzack" were the owners of that mark though.

Kalfred

Joseph Allen & Sons Ltd., Ecclesall Works, Rockingham Street. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19083&pos=2&action=zoom&id=21727

Razor produced by Joseph Allen and Sons, manufacturers of razors, Oak Works, No. 157 New Edward Street. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y14975&pos=4&action=zoom&id=107981