1st WW Memorial Plaques - origin?

emo924

Good afternoon all

I have recently acquired two small brass plaques which list the names of Sheffield men killed or died in the First World War.

I am researching all these men but can find no reasonable explanation why they appeared on the same plaques as there

is no connection between them geographically or due to trades or professions.

If anyone recognises them and can suggest where the plaques were originally sited I would be grateful.

A few might question the ethical position of owning such memorials but I am a dedicated Sheffield researcher who treats such

with the utmost respect and was determined not to see these perhaps ended up being scrapped.

Any information more than welcomed.

Chris

plaques.jpeg

If you can locate these people on the 1911 census, that might pin them down to a particular area. Are they listed on the Great War roll of honour - does this give a location? It could be they were members of a now demolished church.

Pte Percy Theodore Fearn No 42542 2Bn West Yorkshire Reg (Prince of Wale's Own) died 16 Aug 1917.  commemorated at Tyne Cot Memorial, Panel 42 to 47. Son of Georgina Fearn of Primrose Cottage, Bamford. was employed by Midland Railway at Masborough

Herbert Hirst Thomlinson No 20171 3rd Bn, "O" Coy Kings Own Scottish Borderers died 25 March 1917. commemorated at Edinburgh (Comely Bank) Cemetery. Son of Judith and the late Thomas Tomlinson of 37 Croft Buildings, Campo Ln

info from Commonwealth War Graves

Probably the Charity School for Boys / Blue Coat School on Psalter Lane. The school was moved from East Parade to Psalter lane, and the new building was opened by the Countess Fitzwilliam on 5th September 1911. Several of the men were at the school on East Parade in April 1911, the rest may have been there or Psalter Lane in other years.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for responding.

Certainly Thomas Abbott (1901) and Percy Fearn (1911) are shown as being resident in the charity school on East Parade so there

is a definite connection there, It's a potentially good shout that at some time (between census) that some/all of the others may have been too.

I'll follow up on the suggestions too,

Many thanks again

Chris

On the subject of WW1 commemoration, does anyone know of how to obtain/find a "death penny plaque" please?

I've been looking for years for a plaque (should it still exist) for Harold Norton who is my great uncle. My great grandparents Frederick Arthur and Ada Norton went to visit his grave so I would expect them to have been given a plaque. I don't do E-Bay where I believe lots of these plaques turn up for sale.

Regards,

Duffems

Duffems: There are many medal and militaria dealers who also sell memorial plaques.

There were actually just 3 men called Harold Norton who were killed in WW1.

As the plaques themselves do not show regiments or numbers etc then one will look the same as another. I don't know if you have Ancestry but if so here is the link to your Great-Uncle's record of death.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/597875:1543?_phsrc=Gfv125&_phstart=successSource&gsfn=harold&gsln=norton&ml_rpos=3&queryId=e72d52c970c6a777cdd4d00ad79b67d2

Harold Norton

Age in 191112

Estimated Birth Yearabt 1899

Relation to HeadSon

GenderMale

Birth PlaceSheffield, Yorkshire, England

Civil parishEcclesall

County/IslandYorkshire-West Riding

CountryEngland

Street Address: 348 London Road Sheffield

OccupationSchool

Registration District Number509

Sub-registration district Sharrow

Sadly a Google search for 'Harold Norton' has not produced any positive sightings of such a plaque. As you have suggested eBay would probably be the most likely place you might find one but it may be worth your while regularly searching on Google for something like - memorial plaque for Harold Norton - should one have become on any dealer's site as being available for sale you should be able to identify it.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Chris

Edmund

It's very generous of you to take the time and trouble to search for and find the articles you have posted.

Certainly food for thought and I'm very grateful.

Chris

Hi All

I'm beginning to think that the common factor is the Charity Home. I had identified two men from the plaques as having been resident and now, thanks to another kind contributor, I have identified a third. It is however by no means certain as some of the other men do not quite fit the criteria but so far nothing else has suggested itself so I am inclined to go with that possibility.

Thanks to all.

Chris

On 26/09/2023 at 13:44, emo924 said:

Duffems: There are many medal and militaria dealers who also sell memorial plaques.

There were actually just 3 men called Harold Norton who were killed in WW1.

As the plaques themselves do not show regiments or numbers etc then one will look the same as another. I don't know if you have Ancestry but if so here is the link to your Great-Uncle's record of death.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/597875:1543?_phsrc=Gfv125&_phstart=successSource&gsfn=harold&gsln=norton&ml_rpos=3&queryId=e72d52c970c6a777cdd4d00ad79b67d2

Harold Norton

Age in 191112

Estimated Birth Yearabt 1899

Relation to HeadSon

GenderMale

Birth PlaceSheffield, Yorkshire, England

Civil parishEcclesall

County/IslandYorkshire-West Riding

CountryEngland

Street Address: 348 London Road Sheffield

OccupationSchool

Registration District Number509

Sub-registration district Sharrow

Sadly a Google search for 'Harold Norton' has not produced any positive sightings of such a plaque. As you have suggested eBay would probably be the most likely place you might find one but it may be worth your while regularly searching on Google for something like - memorial plaque for Harold Norton - should one have become on any dealer's site as being available for sale you should be able to identify it.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Chris

Firstly, apologies for jumping on this thread about a different subject and, secondly, thanks for the information regarding my great uncle Harold Norton.

This is the correct Harold Norton being my grandfather Albert's brother who Albert talked about with great affection as they were very close in age there being 12 children in total. Harold Norton is commemorated on his parents' grave in Norton Cemetery and I have a photo of his grave in France supplied very kindly by CWWGC.

I'm sure there would have been a "death penny" which probably got lost after the Norton family estate was shared in 1945 when their mother Ada died leaving a will.

I'll continue to search in case it shows up but, as you say, there's no determining the correct plaque as I believe no details such as regiments or numbers were given.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Duffems

10 hours ago, Duffems said:

I'm sure there would have been a "death penny" which probably got lost after the Norton family estate was shared in 1945 when their mother Ada died leaving a will

Have you seen the will? Does it say who had the plaque?

Hi Hopman,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the will of Ada Norton who died in 1945 her husband Frederick Arthur Norton having died in 1939, it doesn't mention the plaque. Maybe a Norton family member already had it.

Regards,

Duffems