WW11 memories R.A.S.C.

Wendy

I have recently found out that my biological Grandad was in Sheffield around July- Sept 1942, maybe longer. His name was Giovanni Pino Sterlini, he liked to be called John, or Pino. Does anyone have any stories they may have been told about Pino, or any photos of him. He was a cook in the British armed forces which was then known as the RASC. Would be lovely to hear

wendy

My father (born 1912) was in the RASC and trained as a cook, he was born in Sheffield, not sure where he trained, but I have some photographs, when I find them and have time,

I will scan and put some here.

I remember playing with these buttons when I was young, I later gave them all away to someone who had interest

Link  RASC WW2 Royal Army Service Corps RASC George VI Tunic Button

button.jpg

On 11/11/2023 at 11:44, Wendy said:

Oh thank you, would love to see some photos 

Not sure about this, but my dad appeared to have trained as a cook at Gilwell Park London, I have no idea as what year(s), these photographs were taken at Gilwell, or to why he or the staff, would be dressed in scouts uniform, neither he or his two brothers, mentioned dad being in the scouts?

But in "1940, during the Second World War, the War Ministry requisitioned the Gilwell estate as a local command, training, and ordnance centre, and remained there until 1945"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilwell_Park

Here are my photographs of dad:

gilwell#2_e.jpg

gilwell#4_e.jpg

gilwell#6_e.jpg

Dad is seen on the back row, second from the left ..

gilwell_#)_e.jpg

gilwell#1.jpg

No idea again as to where or when, the top part is missing, along with any other writings on the back.

All that is left is "Very Hot", so it could be at Gilwell, but more probably, it was taken in Burma.

gilwell#3_e.jpg

hot.jpg

Gilwell Park closed for scout camping during the war, but it did continue to run "Wood Badge" courses for trainee Scoutmasters all through the war.  I guess Scouts were an important resource for wartime and the organisation needed to be maintained.