Attercliffe - Circus (Elephants )and Fairs

GoldenCity1954

I remember the elephants walking from Midland Station to the big site on The Pheasant Are there any photographs anywhere?  This was sometime around 1948

Sheffield Local Studies, Central Library used to cut out a variety of press cuttings and record them under headings and were microfilmed/microfiched. Worth an enquire there. Possible heading under "Circuses" Photographs not always cut out but it might give you a exact date. 

If you live in the area, a search of the local newspapers around the date, also available on microfilm in Local Studies Library. 

All before the days of digitilisation this was probably the only way to do a search of the papers. Unless someone had attempted indexing certain subjects. 

Probably not the Parade you are referring to.

v04500.jpg.5bb37b7656acb32f14a4143e0733b2d9.jpgv04500

Information with the photograph: Circus parade, probably passing the works of Thomas William Sampson, electrical engineers

In the 1930s and 1940s Thompson William Sampsons were located in the Electron Works, Pitt Street.

Picture Sheffield has the date period recorded as 1900-1919 but the children's clothing looks later. 

I remember watching a circus train being unloaded in the goods yard at Wadsley Bridge station. My Dad, who worked for the railways, and I were at the end of the platform almost on the bridge itself and we watched as the convoy (including elephants) travelled along Penistone Road towards Hillsborough Park; it must have been in the early 1950s. I've searched to see if there are any records of this but to no avail; maybe I had a vivid imagination. Anybody else remember this?

I've got a vague memory of seeing this also.

I must have beem about 4 or 5 years old which would make it early 1950s. If i remember correctly the elephants were in single file and hoding on to the tail of the one in front.

My mother took me to see them. I imagine it was quite a spectacle in those days.