River Don Cannon

SteveHB

British Waterways ceased to exist in 2012 to be replaced by the Canal and River Trust. This possibly explains the improved ,current state of the canal.

• Thanks 1

On 20/08/2023 at 20:36, Lysanderix said:

Not sure if Sheffield ever made cast iron cannon balls. I do know that they were made at a foundry in nearby Renishaw .Solid shot became obsolete mid 19th century to be replaced by the artillery shell……of which Sheffield produced millions.

I wonder ,does anyone know about Sheffields involvement in producing cannon balls.?

Hattersley & Ridge made the equivalent to cannon balls at Clubmill Road next the Don, not sure how they would get down river past the weirs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neddy said:

Hattersley & Ridge made the equivalent to cannon balls at Clubmill Road next the Don, not sure how they would get down river past the weirs.

Probably when the River in flood... 2007 could have provided the opportunity. 

• Thanks 1

One possibility is that the canon balls were scrap and got thrown into the river by anyone messing around. Say pretending to be shot putters, or playing bowling balls. Especially if they were being replaced by shells. Old technology being sent for scrap. It would be a great temptation with loads of them around and someone not pick one up and chuck it around. 

There are another type of “balls” which I believe Hattersley and Ridge manufactured ….namely Crusher Balls….used in machinery to crush rock.

• Like 1

The C.E.Hall and Robinson Company partnership which had commenced in 1884 was dissolved in December 1890.  They occupied the Standard Iron Works at Washford Road, Attercliffe and made machines including rock breaking and crushing equipment (e.g. Ball Mills for Gold Quartz) .  All their plant and stock in trade was sold off in February 1892. The works including three cottages and remaining plant were sold in June for £1,000. Thomas Winnard & Sons were operating from the premises (renamed Riverside Engineering Works) by April 1895.

I could imagine the successor firm clearing the site and telling the lads to chuck any bits of scrap left over into the river.

Standard Iron Works 1890.png

As regards the cannon found at Ball street bridge: it possibly belonged to the Hillsborough barracks - they used to march to the Wardsend drill field (by the Don) and fire royal salutes. At Victoria's jubilee in 1887 235 men of the the York and Lancaster Regiment marched from the barracks to Wardsend drill field, where they met the Royal Artillery, who had set up five pieces of ordnance.  The Artillery fired a royal salute in three rounds of 17,17 and 16.  An immense crowd witnessed the march, with the Regimental band playing throughout.

Would it take 130 years for a cannon to be washed less than a mile down the river?

• Thanks 1

Another thought:  The Flood in 1864 demolished a stone boundary wall at the barracks - "it was nearly a yard in thickness and of considerable height".  Was there a cannon there that was caught up amongst the debris and carried into Sheffield?  The Ball Street foot bridge, of iron construction, was destroyed during the flood, presumably more due to debris in the river, than force of water.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Another thought:  The Flood in 1864 demolished a stone boundary wall at the barracks - "it was nearly a yard in thickness and of considerable height".  Was there a cannon there that was caught up amongst the debris and carried into Sheffield?  The Ball Street foot bridge, of iron construction, was destroyed during the flood, presumably more due to debris in the river, than force of water.

That's a good thought Edmund!

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

I'd thought of that and did a search of the Flood Claims.

Tried various keywords but unable to come up with a claim. 

Tried: 

Barrack(s); Military; Army; Cannon(s); Soldier(s); Colonel; Cavalry; Artillery. 

Surely they put a claim in for the damaged wall, perhaps I'm missing something?

6 hours ago, Ponytail said:

I'd thought of that and did a search of the Flood Claims.

Tried various keywords but unable to come up with a claim. 

Tried: 

Barrack(s); Military; Army; Cannon(s); Soldier(s); Colonel; Cavalry; Artillery. 

Surely they put a claim in for the damaged wall, perhaps I'm missing something?

Even tried Sergeant Foulds the Barracks Regimental Paymaster, named in the account of the Flood, who woke up to find waist deep water and couldn't save 2 of his children. There isn't a claim for any of his loss. 

6 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Even tried Sergeant Foulds the regimental paymaster, named in the account of the Flood, who woke up to find waist deep water and couldn't save 2 of his children. There isn't a claim for any of his loss. 

Determined to find the claim for the Barracks, eventually found it but not by the normal search. 

Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the War Department, War Office, London S.W.

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimDetails.cfm?claim=11-4262

There doesn't appear to be a cannon or field gun claimed for. 

• Like 2