City Hall Ballroom in the 1950s

Stunmon

Who remembers listening to the Bernard Taylor Band in the 1950s? Was there a crooner performing with him? I remember doing the 'City Shuffle' (not too near to your partner or you were chastised by one of the members of staff!) but I can't remember a singer given that the 1950s was the era of the crooners.

BernardTaylor1956.png.1c9f299d2e6d85360da918a02fc18fc6.png

From April to December 1937, Bernard Taylor's Championship Band, with Barbara Dale as vocalist, appeared at the Newton Hall, Chapeltown. They were at the Gatty Memorial Hall in the September, with Norman Hemmingfield on vocals (as well as Barbara).  Barbara appeared without the Taylor band at the Open Hearth Hotel in Scunthorpe in November 1958.

Cyril Ball on the far right, unknown (so far) female vocalist seated:

BernardTaylorHisBand.png.9184826143974f3ef0b8d192dafeab56.png

• Like 1

Amazingly, I remember men and women actually holding one another…sometimes very closely…whilst dancing …unlike what seems to happen these days…but I am an old ****..

I also worked with a bloke who was one of Bernard Taylors band!

Dangerous activity.  I took up ballroom dancing 30 years ago.  There was this lady who needed a partner ... and we've now been married for coming on 28 years with two kids and a mortgage.  Dangerous indeed!

Certainly is - have never taken a step in my life but it was on Thursday 9th November 1950 - 72 years 8 months and 27 days ago that my parents met for the first time at a dance in the ballroom

Something must have been in the air that night because they married in the September of the following year. It was the start of an "eventful relationship"! Where's mi DeLorean 

• Like 1

I don't remember THOSE dances but do recall Tea Dances in the early 70's at City Hall - think it used to be on Saturday late afternoon.  My husband and I took ballroom dancing lessons at a dance studio on Abbeydale Road then used to walk home up to Psalter Lane with fish and chips - ah the memories.