Harold Hotel Nether Hallam

Helene

Hi All 

I am interested to know if anyone knows anything about Harold Hotel. I know from your site that in 1905 Joseph Nicholson was there.

According to the 1871 census Henry Marsden and family were living at 18 Hardy Street Nether Hallam with "Harold Hotel" wriitten below address. He was born 1833 and a table blade forger (no mention of being a hotelier) Next census and Henry with his wife are living at 32 Harold Street he is now a grocer.  The 1891 census and Henry is now a beer house keeper and grocer. Address for this is Harold Hotel 32 Harold Street. 

Forward to 30 Oct 1900 when Henry was buried his residence was still 32 Harold Street. His wife Ann nee Chapman 1830-1898 (my relative) was buried 2 March 1898 again still at 32 Harold Street. 

As an aside from Sheffield Indexers site I know that Arthur Marsden aged 42 was buried 1901 and Rose Ann Marsden aged 45 they also died at 32 Harold Street.

Thanks

Here's the Harold Hotel derelict in 1975, on the corner of Harold Street (left) and Hardy Street (right). The right hand side was 18 Hardy Street, the left was 32 Harold Street, the two parts were both part of the pub in 1889 but apparently were divided up in the 1950's.

HaroldHotel.png.fff67f67dc4ba5332dc228b37f4a3635.png

from the PictureSheffield site:     Information from AB of Walkley: The Harold had been converted into two dwellings in the 1950s.One entrance was via the old pub yard. This entrance was accessed from Hardy Street. The other was a katy-cornered entrance as can be seen in the photograph. The small but long wall running from this corner residence was the boundary of one long room and was empty and unused in the 1950s. I only remember it being opened once in 1953 just prior to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II when a treadle sewing machine was brought in and the street was involved in making paper bunting in red white and blue triangles sewn together and eventually strung across from house to house along the entire road.

In July 1869 Henry Marsden of the Harold Hotel promoted a dog racing handicap at the Queen's Ground

HaroldHoteladvert1900.png.210c4ce17ecbc33840233e0f0d61f2db.png

HaroldHoteladvert1950.png.2fa78ac5619dc4b62ae0d3d9767bd3e0.png

• Thanks 1

Hi there.

The 1905 Sheffield Directory still shows, Joseoh Nichollson at Harold Hotel.

In 1911, there is no listing in the directory for Harold Hotel.

but! there is :- 32 & 36 Harold Street, Fred West, Beer Retailer

In the 1939 register, it shows at 32 the ALLEN family and at 36 the EYRE family.

The pub could possibly have been build around 1863/5.

In 1903 owners were S.H.Ward & Co. Ltd - Taken over in June 1904 by  Tenant Brothers brewery                                       

Ok regards Heartshome.