Three houses in Lawson Road with shield carved with two pairs of arrows

Richard Vessey

There seem to be three houses in a row 14 - 18 Lawson Road that have the same shield carved over the central bay window depicting a shield with two pairs of arrows. Does anyone know to what this refers? The Sheffield crest seems to have a pair of four arrows. Maybe the houses were all developed by the same family? It seems that the houses were certainly built by the 1870s.

1-law1.jpg

1-law3.jpg

Perhaps the eight arrows that appear on the Sheffield City crest and the University coat of arms (taken from the old seal of the Burgery of Sheffield) were too much detail for the mason to carve into the space available and so it was simplified down to just two pairs of arrows as a representation? 

I think you'll find they are just stock decorations that were one of many for house owners to choose from to adorn their new houses.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 17:39, Richard Vessey said:

There seem to be three houses in a row 14 - 18 Lawson Road that have the same shield carved over the central bay window depicting a shield with two pairs of arrows. Does anyone know to what this refers? The Sheffield crest seems to have a pair of four arrows. Maybe the houses were all developed by the same family? It seems that the houses were certainly built by the 1870s.

1-law1.jpg

1-law3.jpg

Hia, found this image that may interest you. It is from the Official Journal of the British Horological Institute

October 28 1904:-

100_4012.JPG

• Like 1

Wondered if this gentleman or his family had anything to do with the houses on Lawson Road. Doesn't say which number he lived at. 

y08532.jpg.70ab9281c5c0e6693f91613366764ece.jpgy08532

John Brightmore Mitchell-Withers (1865 - 1920), architect and surveyor, Lawson Road, Broomhill. 

For biographical details see 'Sheffield at the Opening of the 20th Century: Contemporary Biographies', S. O. Addy, 1900 (Local Studies 920.04274 SQ)

John Brightmore Mitchell-Withers (senior) 1838-1894

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brightmore_Mitchell-Withers_(senior)

Information from "Broomhill Local History Group,  Street Names & Broomhill House Names" leaflets.

"Lawson Road named after relatives of Vicar Wilkinson. The road was built on land given to the Rev. Wilkinson, Vicar of Sheffield at the time of the enclosure. The Lawson family of Boroughbridge owned the advowson of Sheffield Parish from the 1820's to 1870's and Andrew Sherlock Lawson was patron of the Rev. Sale. (Advowson is the right of presentation to a benefice or living) First mentioned in 1861 census although first houses built in 1855."

House names on Lawson Road

No.14. Hycliffe (1895) & Wharncliffe Villa

No.16. Clifton Villa

No.18. Wellington House/Villa

No. 18 Lawson Road. 

u11681.jpg.ad323146e2e375b14d53d3c6ab318dcb.jpgu11681

u11682.jpg.818d7da4c9d757a9f81607fdaf338ed0.jpgu11682

u11790.jpg.e0925ea73c16229ba66e42e8466c3687.jpgu11682

Following images of 18 Lawson Road were taken 5th May 1979 by David Cathels a former Planning & Conservation Officer with the City Council. 

w01716.jpg.47ff7c9416c52565e1f4ccc6d71fed1e.jpgw01715   Showing gatepost. 

w01715.jpg.4e689419a4e3237dd303eb02f938a5ae.jpgw01715   Showing arch and gatepost. 

One of the grand houses on the right as you go up Lawson Road from Manchester Road was used as student accommodation during the 1980s and housed students from the Polytechnic and Granville College (as they were known at the time). Some people that I became friends with were living there for one academic year (1984/85) and I spent a fair amount of time there as a visitor.

I don't remember the number, but I think that the front door was central on the façade, a few steps up to it, with a large, possibly bay, window each side of the door. The rooms had high ceilings.  I think that a rather ugly steel fire escape had been added somewhere because of how it was used and maybe a more modern extension at the back (so, it might have been no 18).

My impression was that the house had been used for some kind of residential care or educational activity for quite a while with a large commercial style kitchen with lots of industrial stainless steel cupboards and cooker and rooms painted in bland, insipid colours with durable vinyl flooring.

It was a very solidly built house and must have been an impressive residence at one point. I imagine a family home with servants. It also had a large cellar with enough headroom to stand without banging your head.  I remember feeling slightly saddened that such a beautiful house had moved into institutional use and had become a bit run-down, but I suppose it was at least being used, which might have got it through a period where it could have been redeveloped, until the Broomhill Conservation area was designated in the late 1970s.

Interesting, so it seems the two pairs of arrows in the crest must really refer to Sheffield, whether based on assay office mark, or just simplified version of usual full crest; they could easily have been made up in good numbers just to be an appropriate decoration for Sheffield properties, especially for owners who didn't have their own crest!

The origins of the Lawson name makes sense for the name of the road, so will try to check out John Brightmore Mitchell-Withers (senior & junior), architects, to see if they were involved with the development, or just happened to live in a house in that road. The Dutch gables of 14 & 16 are slightly unusual.

Edward Tozer of Steel, Peech & Tozer lived at No. 16 sometime following his marriage in 1852, shown there in 1881 census, so must have been there whilst Mayor and Master Cutler before moving to Crabtree Lodge in Pitsmoor where he died in 1890.

Thanks for all the input.