Broomhill Water Company marker

Calvin72

Whilst looking for something else I came across this on Picture Sheffield, a Broomhill Water Company conduit marker on Tapton Crescent Rd in 1979. I assume this was on the conduit which ran from Redmires to Crookes Valley but I've never come across anything similar, or about the Broomhill Water Company. Does anyone know how that company fitted in with the Sheffield Waterworks Company, or indeed anything about them at all?

I went to the road recently to try to locate the marker but without success. Some of the walls are covered in greenery though, I'll have another look soon.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01714&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47407

I've never heard of a Broomhill Water Company, that may just be someone's guess.  It looks more like a boundary marker to me, with BH (Broom Hill?) separated from WC by a colon. It may have been moved from its original position and incorporated in a new wall.

The 1850 O.S. map shows several "undefined" boundaries in the area - i.e. a boundary with no real world feature to define it.  This may have led to property disputes and the agreed boundary line resulting from litigation being marked by a stone.

However there would have been a conduit crossing the land where Tapton Crescent Road was subsequently made.  In 1833 the Sheffield Water Works Company completed a 5 mile conduit between the new dams at Redmires and Crookes.  As yet I've not found a plan showing its route after the King Edward's lower school playing fields.

The Picture Sheffield Number w01714 indicates it was scanned from a negative of the David Cathels collection who will have supplied the information.

The collection of 583 images covers a wide range of subjects (and dates) from different parts of Sheffield. 

I may be mistaken (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but think David Cathels was a Conservation Officer for Sheffield City Council. 

It's possible he took the image dated June 1979 for a Conservation/Planning issue. 

Concerning David Cathels, confirming his former position in Sheffield City Council. 

Found this in reference to Canada House (Gas Company Building) Commercial Street. 

"An inquiry into the building’s future in 1977 resulted in Sheffield’s Assistant Chief Planner David Cathels stating that the building was considered to be “A vigorous and distinguished example of Victorian architecture which should be retained”.