Dore Grill

TheBells

My family have just taken over what used to be Joe & Dolores at The Grill on Church Lane, Dore. We are carrying out a major refurbishment and will hopefully open at the end of May when it will be called The Dore Bar & Restaurant - maybe getting it known simply as The Dore. I have been trying to establish the exact history of the building. So far I have found that it was built between 1956 and 1959, purely on the evidence that it is not shown on an OS map published in 1956 but is shown on 1959 1:1250 OS map.

I have been told that it was originally built as four retail units including a florist and coffee shop. I also see from the archives that Marsden's Dairies Ltd. applied for a wine licence in 1960. I also know that the whole ground floor became the Mogul Room - an Indian restaurant and we have found a lot of evidence of their decor when stripping back the walls. But we don't know the exact dates. More recently it was Joe & Dolores at The Grill and Dore Grill.

I have found three photographs in the archives but I am hoping somebody will know more precise dates and exactly how the building was originally split up. More photographs of the early days would be most welcome.

You've probably seen these images from Picture Sheffield. The one taken by Sheffield Newspapers has a date which usually is the publication date, it may be worth looking at the Newspaper Archive for that date. Microfilm is available to search at Local Studies Library. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s31327&pos=6&action=zoom&id=64458

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s31329&pos=7&action=zoom&id=64460

Dore Grill, 36 Church Lane, January 1966. 

s31328.jpg.a6584cb34d4a9fde2d927dfa27a24886.jpgs13128

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have already seen the images from Picture Sheffield. I have also followed up some references to Marsden's Dairies Ltd. who apparently operated milk bars in Sheffield - presumably similar to Forte's.

I would expect there to be some evidence in the title deeds for the building. Have you access to any? The Land Registry is ok, but if you the original deeds or any transfers of title they can fill in quite a lot about who built it and who occupied it.

Another key resource will be the local trade directories which should identify the function and tenant of the commercial buildings - looks like the Local Studies Library have several from the late 50’s-60’s (https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/Trade Directories.pdf).

Probably doesn’t give you any more information than you already have, maybe some additional names, but here are the relevant pages from the Sheffield 1970 Kelly’s Directory. 

IMG_3732.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg