El Mambo Coffee Bar, Union Street.

Stunmon

Does anyone remember going to the El Mambo? I know there are threads somewhere on this site but there never seems to be a photo of the actual place?  Was the entrance on Cambridge Arcade or actually on Union Street? And are there any photos around of the interior?

Help please!!

On 25/04/2023 at 10:33, Stunmon said:

Does anyone remember going to the El Mambo? I know there are threads somewhere on this site but there never seems to be a photo of the actual place?  Was the entrance on Cambridge Arcade or actually on Union Street? And are there any photos around of the interior?

Help please!!

I've never seen any photos of the inside Stunmon, but this could be one of the sign over the El Mambo!

My sister worked in a shop on Cambridge Arcade and warned me off from going in the Mambo, mind you I was only 14 at the time (59)

You can see the location of the Café on this Picture Sheffield photograph from 1950, it's the place located next door to the shop advertising State Express 555 cigarette's to the right of Cambridge Arcade on Union Street, if you zoom in on the sign over the place! does it say El Mambo? or is 1950 the date of the photograph too early for it to be the El Mambo?

Screenshot_2023-04-26-18-59-12-134.jpeg

I think you're correct.  The 1957 Kellys Directory shows the El Mambo at number 34 Union Street, then H & M Leech tobacconist, then Cambridge Arcade.

UnionStreet1957Kellys.png.6a000f7656d86ae670c6323538dfb4a3.png

I can only remember knowing about the El Mambo when I was 16 or so (late 1950s) My friend and I would frequent the Teenage Tavern which was on the lower floor of Marsdens Coffee Bar on Pinstone Street. Our parents weren't happy about it, fearing the worst, but warned us in no uncertain terms what would happen to girls who so much as went over the threshold of the El Mambo. Unhappily, never daring to go into the place, I have never found out what might have happened! Would my life have taken a completely different turn, who knows!!!

It seems that the boys of Sheffield Central Tech were banned from the El Mambo. An article about it appeared in the 'News of the World' and some time after the front of the building was blown off. I think it closed shortly after. Don't know the date.