Can you name this Sheffield pub?

Sheffield History

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 14.03.40.png

Sicey.

I remember being in one those huts for me birthday party as little kid.

would have been mid 80s.

Interesting….I only remember it as a fish restaurant…at the time ,( the 70s) something of a novelty in these parts.

The Sicey was the place where I had my first legal pint. It had a large concert room …which ,on Thursday evenings ,would be full of young people enjoying the music of the Kenny Pete Four and other local groups. It had a Tap room and a Lounge….this ,in the 70s ,was refashioned and the rather amusing little dining huts created.

I left the area so couldn’t say when the restaurant closed and the pub demolished

Sicey Hotel, Sicey Avenue. 

u11826.jpg.3024dc53e334028a6ac6ecee0b1fca1f.jpgu11826   dated 1981

It appears the doorway roof was being altered similar the ones in the interior photograph. Would this be around the time of that photograph?

Gives description of interior in the notes. Date period 1940-1959

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21581&pos=8&action=zoom&id=24180

Walked passed it many many times, never went inside.

The low Shiregreen estate was built by the Council on land with a covenant forbidding the building of pubs…which is why those few that were built were on the outer edges of the estate.

A local man..Sicey Smith …gave his name to the road on which the Sicey was built

The first photo shows ,to the right ,the rear of a small group of cottages on Hatfield House Lane…I seem to remember that they were bulldozed down in the late 1960s. The second photo does show what looks like the construction of a new doorway…..and the cars and lorries would seem to confirm the date of 1981….but Is that a “For Sale” sign to the right of the rundown looking pub.?

• Like 1