Highbury Hotel, 50 Kenwood Road

Richard Vessey

Does anyone remember Highbury Hotel at 50 Kenwood Road (see letterhead)? 50 Kenwood Road is now a house called Roslyn, which doesn't look like it could ever have been an hotel. I believe that the attachment here of two shots of the same house was a property called Highbury which is neighbour to 50 Roslyn. The plot has been developed as Kenwood Court (a private estate) retaining the old house (though now developed into 4 or more flats) with much new build in what was the garden, all now set behind electric gates. Was this house the one called Highbury and, if so, was this Highbury Hotel? Could the (rather poor photo) of a wedding party be in the back garden of Highbury, as I have been led to believe it is? Any information on this house with all the bay windows gratefully received.

s67.jpg

s68.jpg

t1-001.jpg

t34.jpg

t33.jpg

Kenwood Road. Sharrow Lane to Cherry Tree Road. 1965 directory.
44 Kenwood Hotel (annexe)
46 St. Andrews Hotel

It was the home of Thomas Harland Roberts, second son of the founder of the well known drapery firm of Messrs T and J Roberts Ltd, Moorhead. He entered the firm in 1884 and on the death of his father in 1893 took over control, holding the dual position of partner and governing director. He was very much involved in the Wesleyan Church, being a trustee and treasurer to the Brunswick Chapel. He died at 50 Kenwood Road of pneumonia/influenza aged 64 on 27th March 1931.

THRoberts.png.3eef8aa77318411338b53415c1121e08.png

Highbury House on Kenwood Road Sharrow, was the residence of Edward Thomas Atikin and Frank Shaw Atkin of Atkin Brothers, silversmiths, (Truro Works)  Matilda Street.

Ignore "Atkinson" see articles about "Atkin brothers and Truro works"

Thanks. Massively useful. Great to see the maps. From your responses, Highbury House was 46 Kenwood Park - owned in:

- 1881 Edward Thomas Atkin - silversmith

- 1911 Carl August Hahn - steel manufacturer

- 1925 John Martin Moorwood - iron founder (my great grandfather)

- 1957 Executive Council for City of Sheffield NHS

- 1965 St. Andrews Hotel

I think that the development of 46 (and neighbouring 48) Kenwood Road into the Kenwood Court estate may have been around 2005.

Just mysterious that 50 Kenwood Road was called Highbury Hotel (see letterhead above), when Highbury was obviously number 46.

50 Kenwood Road lived in by Thomas Harland Roberts must have been built around the turn of the last century, as there was no number 50 before then. Maybe actually built by Roberts. Certainly the property called Roslyn now. Does anyone remember that this actually was later Highbury Hotel?

Anyway, I'm fairly confident now that the 1920s wedding photo was taken in the back garden of Highbury House 46 Kenwood Road.

Thanks   Richard

St Andrews Hotel, 46 Kenwood Road dated June 1982. 

s35619.jpg.31e2f1aab921bc54cddedb30603b8630.jpgs35619

St. Andrews Hotel Annex, 48 Kenwood Road. June 1982. 

s35660.jpg.7e4fe7926d32d921ec63f720ab98a1c6.jpgs35660

Thanks for these photos. Fascinating, as previous maps show an earlier extension to the back of this house (if it is no. 46) where there now seems to be a fire escape and bay window (which looks pretty well like the bay windows around the rest of the house). Maybe this was 48 Kenwood Road and not 46 which was Highbury House (but of similar style, as presumably could have been built at the same time), then demolished for the present development. This photo shows the present rear side of 46 Kenwood Road with no exposed gable end that on your photo had bay window & fire escape......  let's keep chatting, all so interesting. R

t40.jpg

Thanks for those excellent and hugely helpful articles. Katherine (Kitty) Moorwood and Lorna Moorwood were my great aunts. Lorna disappeared off to Australia with her husband, but Kitty and her husband moved to Wagwood House, off Newfield Lane in Dore (I think a house built by the Doncasters). Good to have the date that Mr. Hahn sold Highbury. It seems John Martin Moorwood, my great grandfather must have bought it then as had the reception for her daughter in the garden in 1921. So I suppose proves that the first photograph that I posted (which is of that wedding reception) must be at the back of Highbury House. All the articles include names that are helpful. Thanks again.....