Covid Memorial sculpture unveiled in Balm Green

SteveHB

It was a long time ago when I photographed The Cat amongst some pigeons, not been in  Barkers Pool Gardens since

12244658_10208447849098500_7631996338026498289_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ponytail said:

Balm Green certainly been updated. Hope it provides a place for people to be at one with themselves. 

Are the other sculptures still there? 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00682&pos=126&action=zoom&id=45984

No idea about the other sculptures, but the Horse and Rider sculpture can be seen in the YouTube video

horse.jpg

• Like 1

How does a giants egg whisk stuck in the ground have any meaning to anyone who lost someone? 

I wouldn’t have a clue what this “ creation” commemorated…so ,what exactly, is its point and how much did it cost?

On 14/01/2024 at 17:55, Lysanderix said:

I wouldn’t have a clue what this “ creation” commemorated…so ,what exactly, is its point and how much did it cost?

…. Would you believe the thick end of 1/4 of a million quid??? The attached repeats the design concept of a willow tree, but the “point”?……. I don’t really ‘get’ what the article describes as the meaning of this sculpture….

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/george-king-architects-willow-tree-wins-sheffield-covid-memorial-contest

As far as I’m concerned, there was no “inequality” when COVID came knocking in March of 2020. The pandemic affected young and old, healthy and frail. It crossed all racial, social and economic boundaries and is still a constant threat to us all, so exactly whose voices it is meant to reflect is frankly lost on me??? 

At least it was made locally, so that’s OK then???!!!……..

The Cat and Bird are still there, but the two wooden horses have galloped away into the sunset.

At the risk of sounding like a Philistine ( can we say that nowadays since it is the origination of the word Palestine?)I feel, after reading the blurb,that it’s all about “The Kings New Clothes”.

Some sections of our society are said to have suffered disproportionally…this may well be true…..some , especially in the medical business worked hard…others felt the lockdown was a waste , some suffered loneliness and isolation, others paid in lost wages and debt and others lost loved ones.

How does this sculpture, in any way, commemorate the pandemic and suffering?The Victorian cholera monument makes a solid statement.

• Like 1