Rotherham H. S. School ?

togger

Evening all,

One of my ancestors born illegitimate in Sheffield, went on to become a headmaster at Kimberworth H. S. School, quite an achievement. An achievement that I would like to investigate but I cant find anything on that school anywhere so stumped. Can anyone help please? Image attached from 1921 Census.

Josephs 1921 Census.jpg

• Like 1

In 1870, the Elementary Education Act was passed under which school places  were to be provided for all children aged between five and 12 in a school run by a qualified headteacher. To achieve this, the voluntary religious organisations were given six months to increase their provision. After that time, in districts where they were unable or unwilling to fill the gaps, ‘School Boards’ made up of elected members were set up. They had the power to build and control board schools in their district which were to be non-sectarian and paid for by rates.  Introduced under the Revised Code of Regulations in 1862 and revised again in 1872, there were six Standards of Education relating to reading, writing and arithmetic through which children were meant to progress. For example, in Standard III, pupils were expected to read a short paragraph from a more advanced reading book, write a sentence slowly dictated from the same book, and to carry out long division and compound rules relating to money. Children could not be promoted to Standard IV if they failed to pass the criteria for Standard III. The Standards roughly corresponded to ages between seven and 12. "Higher Standard" schools offered technical instruction for older children, beyond the usual leaving age, being a link between elementary and secondary education.

Kimberworth H.S. and Infant Schools were built on a site just west of the Masbro' Cemetery, at a cost of £14,000 for the H.S. and £6,000 for the infant school. They were opened on 20th March 1914 by the Right Honourable J.A. Peasey M.P. By 1919 the H.S. school could accommodate 720 scholars.  There were work-rooms in the basement where each boy spent at least a day a week, the layouts based on industrial workshops. In the iron workshop were two forges, and electric lathes, for boys to learn the local trades. Technical drawing was taught in the art-room. In 1916 Mr Auty, the enthusiastic headmaster, was interviewed for the Telegraph, stating that most of the boys after their four years at the school went to the Sheffield works such as Vickers and Edgar Allens, rather than the Rotherham works. In the girls' school, they were given a day a week in the kitchen and the laundry, answering questions such as " How could you economise on washing day?".  (The answer was use soda instead of soap, and manipulate the starch so that it could be used for various articles)

I think that the school became a Central School (secondary) in the early '20s under the headship of George Auty who retired 30th September 1938, and died 9th March 1940.

KimberworthHSandInfantSchools1921.png.21207ff017d30abf30b1707efd681bd2.png

• Like 2

That information is extremely helpful, thank you all. I now have to find where the records are kept (if they are?) to see if my man Joseph Edmund Hirst (b. 1870 Sheffield mother Emma Mary Hirst my Great Great Grandmother) career is in the records. I know he was drafted for WW1 as a private in the Yorkshire Light Infantry (King´s Own) regiment whilst working as a School Master at this school and living at 84 Ferham Rd, Rotherham with his wife and children.