Mr John Alfred Eadon

tozzin

Mr John Alfred Eadon

The ornate porch on one of the picture's can be seen on 36 Collegiate Crescent, in the early 1870s it was the home of Mr John Alfred Eadon, Auctioneer. On researching  Mr Eadon, the family name is listed in the 1825 Whites Directory but I think he was the father of John Alfred , Mr George Eadon, the Grandfather of John Alfred, is listed as a carver & gilder, and looking glass manufacturer working out of 2 George Street, just off the High Street, there’s also a George Eadon residing at 52 Norfolk Street and I think this is the home of our carver & gilder. Unfortunately the house has long been demolished. George senior continued his trade through to the 1840s and saw his sons, George, William Henry, start their business as Auctioneers, Valuer`s and Commission Agents, soon to be Eadon ,Lockwood & Riddle, with premises at four and a half, yes, four and a half Fargate, the other brother John Alfred, our subject, is listed as a Sharebroker and Auctioneer working in premises at 10 Norfolk Row, these premises are still with us, its now an upmarket nail bar. In 1849 George senior, had moved his workshop to 23 New Church Street and he was now listed as a cabinet maker and upholsterer as well as a carver and gilder, his business was very successful as he was now living on Clarkehouse Road, while John was living at 174 Broad Lane and William Henrys home was at Spring Hill Crookesmoor, these enterprising sons are also Insurance Agents for London Assurance, they were also stock & share brokers, so they were using their expertise to make their business a profitable concern, sadly George senior passed away on the 5th of May 1850 age 88, another Eadon came into the world that year, William Mitchell who also eventually joined the firm.
In 1852 we see that George junior is still at 23 Church Street but now it seems that cabinet making and upholstery is now the mainstay of his business as carver & gilder is listed after them, he passed away on the 1st of December 1863, his son John Alfred is listed as an auctioneer, share broker & mining agent, he now had two sets of premises, 10 Chapel walk and I0 Norfolk row, while he had moved to a more fashionable part of the suburbs, Tapton Ville, original spelling, it was like living in the countryside looking down on the smoky and contaminated town. Georges other son? Edward who worked with his Grandfather as a gilder & carver had his home Wilton Place, Broomhill Park, through the hard work of Edward they were now agents for Wingfield’s iron bedsteads with bigger premises at 23 & 70 Norfolk Street, by this time John Alfred was living in his new house on Collegiate Crescent with his family, it was around 1862 that William Henry & John Alfred moved into larger premises for their auctioneer business at 18 Old Haymarket, the very next year the Grandson of the founder of the Eadon dynasty, George, died on the 30th of August at his home age 75, his son George had died earlier on the 17th of August 1871 at his home Spring House aged just 52 years. It was in 1879 that John Alfred Eadon passed away at his residence on the 2nd of October 1888. 
In  early 1890 the Auction business moved to 2 St James Street, everyone should remember it, its now the Blue Moon Café, well it was the last time I passed, by this time they were also listed as estate agents, no sign of Mr Riddle, just fourteen years later Henry Eadon died on the 29th of March 1904, still no sign of Lockwood & Riddle, I found a listing for Cyril J Lockwood in 1911 cited as an auctioneer with W. H. & J. A. Eadon & Eadon & Dutchman, he was living at a house named Couil Roye, I don’t know what this name means, but its from the 1911 directory and its situated  on Belgrave Road, also listed is a James Richard Lockwood, maybe partner to be, auctioneer of 10 & 12 Bow street, this was part of what is now West Street, his home was 20 Bristol road, still no sign of Mr Riddle, if anyone has information of the elusive Mr Riddle please get in touch, he must have become a partner after 1911 which my directories do not cover and any information on him on the internet his negligible, so I must jump to the 2000s  when Eadon Lockwood and Riddle's auction business, separated from the estate agency side of the business, the auction side moved to the Nichols Building, Shalesmoor here they stayed for 10 years, the final lots at Nichols Building went under the hammer just before Christmas 2011,  since then their antiques and fine art auction business has operated  from what was a new purpose-built premises on Windsor Road, off Chesterfield Road, Heeley.  Mr William Mitchell Eadon died on the 26th of January 1939 aged 89.
The word "auction" is derived from the Latin augeō which means "I increase", In some parts of England during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries auction by candle began to be used for the sale of goods. In a candle auction, the end of the auction was signalled by the expiration of a candle flame, which was intended to ensure that no one could know exactly when the auction would end and make a last-second bid. 

The chap in the photo is Mr Michael Mitchell Eadon

Entrance porch of 36 Collegiate Crescent former  home of Mr John Alfred Eadon Auctioneer 1862.jpg

36 Collegiate Crescent former  home of Mr John Alfred Eadon Auctioneer 1862 soon to be Eadon Lockwood & Riddle.jpg

William Mitchell Eadon (1850- ), auctioneer, valuer and estate agent, of Red House, Tapton House Road, Broomhill.jpg

Eadon Lockwood & Riddle 1950s.jpg

In late December 1917 William Mitchell Eadon went into partnership with J. Cyril Lockwood, to trade as Eadon and Lockwood, from 2 St.James' Street "established over 70 years" formerly W.H. & J.A. Eadon.  That partnership was dissolved in March 1933, when presumably a new one to include Riddle was instituted.

John Tharratt Riddle, younger son of J.C. Riddle of Grindleford, was formerly an articled clerk to a firm of Sleaford auctioneers.  He married Dorothy Clarke  at Sleaford on 4th February 1931.  He died in Lincoln in 1993.

On 18/03/2023 at 09:38, tozzin said:

Mr John Alfred Eadon

The ornate porch on one of the picture's can be seen on 36 Collegiate Crescent, in the early 1870s it was the home of Mr John Alfred Eadon, Auctioneer. On researching  Mr Eadon, the family name is listed in the 1825 Whites Directory but I think he was the father of John Alfred , Mr George Eadon, the Grandfather of John Alfred, is listed as a carver & gilder, and looking glass manufacturer working out of 2 George Street, just off the High Street, there’s also a George Eadon residing at 52 Norfolk Street and I think this is the home of our carver & gilder. Unfortunately the house has long been demolished. George senior continued his trade through to the 1840s and saw his sons, George, William Henry, start their business as Auctioneers, Valuer`s and Commission Agents, soon to be Eadon ,Lockwood & Riddle, with premises at four and a half, yes, four and a half Fargate, the other brother John Alfred, our subject, is listed as a Sharebroker and Auctioneer working in premises at 10 Norfolk Row, these premises are still with us, its now an upmarket nail bar. In 1849 George senior, had moved his workshop to 23 New Church Street and he was now listed as a cabinet maker and upholsterer as well as a carver and gilder, his business was very successful as he was now living on Clarkehouse Road, while John was living at 174 Broad Lane and William Henrys home was at Spring Hill Crookesmoor, these enterprising sons are also Insurance Agents for London Assurance, they were also stock & share brokers, so they were using their expertise to make their business a profitable concern, sadly George senior passed away on the 5th of May 1850 age 88, another Eadon came into the world that year, William Mitchell who also eventually joined the firm.
In 1852 we see that George junior is still at 23 Church Street but now it seems that cabinet making and upholstery is now the mainstay of his business as carver & gilder is listed after them, he passed away on the 1st of December 1863, his son John Alfred is listed as an auctioneer, share broker & mining agent, he now had two sets of premises, 10 Chapel walk and I0 Norfolk row, while he had moved to a more fashionable part of the suburbs, Tapton Ville, original spelling, it was like living in the countryside looking down on the smoky and contaminated town. Georges other son? Edward who worked with his Grandfather as a gilder & carver had his home Wilton Place, Broomhill Park, through the hard work of Edward they were now agents for Wingfield’s iron bedsteads with bigger premises at 23 & 70 Norfolk Street, by this time John Alfred was living in his new house on Collegiate Crescent with his family, it was around 1862 that William Henry & John Alfred moved into larger premises for their auctioneer business at 18 Old Haymarket, the very next year the Grandson of the founder of the Eadon dynasty, George, died on the 30th of August at his home age 75, his son George had died earlier on the 17th of August 1871 at his home Spring House aged just 52 years. It was in 1879 that John Alfred Eadon passed away at his residence on the 2nd of October 1888. 
In  early 1890 the Auction business moved to 2 St James Street, everyone should remember it, its now the Blue Moon Café, well it was the last time I passed, by this time they were also listed as estate agents, no sign of Mr Riddle, just fourteen years later Henry Eadon died on the 29th of March 1904, still no sign of Lockwood & Riddle, I found a listing for Cyril J Lockwood in 1911 cited as an auctioneer with W. H. & J. A. Eadon & Eadon & Dutchman, he was living at a house named Couil Roye, I don’t know what this name means, but its from the 1911 directory and its situated  on Belgrave Road, also listed is a James Richard Lockwood, maybe partner to be, auctioneer of 10 & 12 Bow street, this was part of what is now West Street, his home was 20 Bristol road, still no sign of Mr Riddle, if anyone has information of the elusive Mr Riddle please get in touch, he must have become a partner after 1911 which my directories do not cover and any information on him on the internet his negligible, so I must jump to the 2000s  when Eadon Lockwood and Riddle's auction business, separated from the estate agency side of the business, the auction side moved to the Nichols Building, Shalesmoor here they stayed for 10 years, the final lots at Nichols Building went under the hammer just before Christmas 2011,  since then their antiques and fine art auction business has operated  from what was a new purpose-built premises on Windsor Road, off Chesterfield Road, Heeley.  Mr William Mitchell Eadon died on the 26th of January 1939 aged 89.
The word "auction" is derived from the Latin augeō which means "I increase", In some parts of England during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries auction by candle began to be used for the sale of goods. In a candle auction, the end of the auction was signalled by the expiration of a candle flame, which was intended to ensure that no one could know exactly when the auction would end and make a last-second bid. 

The chap in the photo is Mr Michael Mitchell Eadon

Entrance porch of 36 Collegiate Crescent former  home of Mr John Alfred Eadon Auctioneer 1862.jpg

36 Collegiate Crescent former  home of Mr John Alfred Eadon Auctioneer 1862 soon to be Eadon Lockwood & Riddle.jpg

William Mitchell Eadon (1850- ), auctioneer, valuer and estate agent, of Red House, Tapton House Road, Broomhill.jpg

Eadon Lockwood & Riddle 1950s.jpg

LOVE that PORCH!! It looks a most pleasant house! such a pity so many of these nice stone houses,

are no longer affordable for most families to live in. But at least if they are used for other purposes,

the 'bulldozer' is kept away, thank goodness!