B & C Bakery on Bellhouse Road, Firth Park.

Stunmon

I believe that during the 1960s there was a B & C bakery on Bellhouse Road which eventually became a B & C dairy in the 1970s? Is this correct? I can't find any record or photos of the site before B & C, or of the bakery although there seems to be  few showing the days of the dairy? Help!!!

There certainly was a bakery on Bellhouse Road, we could smell the baking where we lived just a little way up from it. It was across the entrance to B&C Dairy from  B&C Co-op Grocery Dept. and fronted onto Bellhouse Road. There was also the Co-op Sports Ground behind it. 

It hadn't been built when this map was produced, I was probably too young to be aware of when it was built but would suggest it was there by 1955/56 at the latest 1958; that's when my memory starts of it. The vacant ground next to the row of cottages is where it was built. I only remember it being a Bakery but left the area 1971.

post-188-1219063680.thumb.jpg.da454e2966a9872ef682e0f2dd1cbb4a.jpg

The bakery was joined to the Laundry. Originally built in 1912 edit:1908 , top floor caught light in 1929 (repaired), and it was rebuilt in 1949/50 - the plans show "bakery and offices, etc.; hut for bread wrapping"

Photo of the new bakery:  Bakery - Picturesheffield

BellhouseRoad1954.png.7508bd889e6256090e42e153d4ac3674.png

39 minutes ago, Edmund said:

The bakery was joined to the Laundry. Originally built in 1912, top floor caught light in 1929 (repaired), and it was rebuilt in 1949/50 - the plans show "bakery and offices, etc.; hut for bread wrapping"

Photo of the new bakery:  Bakery - Picturesheffield

BellhouseRoad1954.png.7508bd889e6256090e42e153d4ac3674.png

Thanks Edmund, the Picture Sheffield photo is the new build I remember fronting Bellhouse Road in the area next to the cottages, just down from our house on the opposite side. 

I only knew that was the Bakery... at least that's where the smell came from.

I have childhood memories of the area shown as the Bakery being part of the Dairy, but I only went down that yard a couple of times;  just remember a man with a load of milk bottles next to the steps up to the Laundry building where I was being taken by the Laundry Manager and his family. 

It was always referred to as the "Dairy" when I lived there. Always lorries coming and going and as a child was instructed to be very careful when crossing the entrance. 

So, when I was growing up in the 1950s and walked down to Firth Park with my mother from Sheffield Lane Top, I didn't dream the smell of baking!!!! Thank to you all!!!

If I plug his excellent books on Shiregreen I'm sure Brian Woodriff won't object to posting one of his photos. The "New Bakery" was later used as Dairy offices, and here is its demise, Co-op old Grocery building already bit the dust. 

IMG_20230317_161755.thumb.jpg.f35374d0e7d30ff417c0c7ab9faa489b.jpg

Books on Shiregreen by Brian Woodriff. 

Still in print, from where this is taken, Shiregreen, Wincobank & Beyond. Published by History Press. 2006 reprinted 2017.

Also:

Shiregreen, Wincobank & Ecclesfield. Published 2001 Sutton Publishing Ltd. 

Shiregreen, Wincobank & Ecclesfield Memories. Published 2003 Sutton Publishing Ltd.

I recall there was a building with a room used for receptions. It was a fairly new building ,so may well have been the upstairs of the Dairy offices as shown on  Brian Woodriff’s photo.

My occasional visit was after family funerals where we had tea, buns and cold sandwiches.

The B & C seemed to be the most popular venue for funeral 'teas' but, whilst I remember going to the B & C on Snig Hill and once to the S & E on Ecclesall Road, I don't remember going to the B & C on Bellhouse Road, and I lived at Sheffield Lane Top until 1965.

Lysanderix - what year would you have gone there?

From what I can renember before the  new Bakery building was built the rooms above the Grocery Department were used for functions, whist drives and the like.

Never went to a funeral tea, but from what I remember and saw cars coming and going the Bakery Building fronting Bellhouse Road was used at least in the late 1950''s as the Grocery building closed 1960, there or there abouts. 

The photograph in Edmunds post has the Catering sign on the part of the building nearest the entrance to the Dairy. That part is still standing on the demolition photograph. 

Difficult to remember exactly when I went. I remember it was the funeral of my Aunt Winnie ,nee Challoner ,but I should have thought it was in the late1950s early 1960s.