13 Taptonville Road Home Of Henrietta Bright

tozzin

13 Taptonville Road was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright. She was the widow of Maurice Bright, read on my friends. The Bright`s family business was started by Isaac and his sibling Phillip in Sheffield around 1786-7, these two brothers were born somewhere abroad and after they arrived in Sheffield they  became jewellers and silversmiths. The two brothers opened their first shop venture at 20 Market Place, this shop was demolished by the clowns in the town hall to build the Orchard Square development some people may remember it as H. L. Brown, it was  here I bought my wife’s wedding ring, Isaac met the love of his life Ann Micholls and married her soon after in the 1790s, their union resulted in ten children, their two eldest boys, Maurice born 1796 and Selim born in 1799 took on the business when their father Isaac moved to Leamington sometime in the 1820s to open a new jewellers shop with another son, Henry, shortly after Philip relocated to Doncaster to start his own silver and jewellery venture.
The Sheffield business still retained the name Isaac Bright & Sons, jewellers, watchmakers, fine cutlers and merchants and they still had the Market Place shop, sometime in 1831 Maurice and Selim took over the business completely a move that made them very wealthy men but for some reason 16 years later in late January 1847, they went their separate ways. Maurice fell on trouble times he was having great difficulty coming to terms with the loss of his son, his wife’s illness and a general slump in trade, the result of all this led him to slash his throat with a razor on the 30th of August 1848, he was just 51 years old. In 1852 the Sheffield shop had moved into new premises in High Street, this new business was run by Maurice’s widow Henrietta and her son Frederick , in 1861 this business was sold to their agent Alfred Draper, later in 1862 Henrietta and sons Frederick and Herbert moved to Scarborough an opened a jeweller, as far as Im aware this shop is still trading on St Nicholas Street.
On the 27th of July 1849 Isaac had died in Leamington at the grand age of 86, he was buried in Liverpool’s Deane Road Jewish Cemetery, Selim Bright had firmly established himself as Selim Bright & Co on Regent Terrace and Victoria Street both properties have gone, in 1864 this company had works on St James Street and it was here that Selim registered a silver mark, the company made every article of cutlery and tableware you could think of, at heart Selim was a retailer he even opened a shop in the fashionable Crescent in Buxton, he sold all the high quality razors, cutlery plus pen & pocket-knives. He was in partnership with Maurice de Lara Bright his son, later in life Maurice became a steel merchant an a composer of military music.  Bankruptcy knocked on Selim`s door in 1867 over unpaid debts, he retired in 1889 aged 90 years and moved to Liverpool, he passed away on the 8th of January 1891 leaving just £930, a small amount for the type of business he was in, one of Selim`s sons, Augustus, also became a cutlery manufacturer and merchant, another son of Selim`s Horatio, a steel producer, was one of a kind, he renounced his Jewish faith and had a family mausoleum at Hollow Meadows for his wife Alice and his son Sam, they died in 1891, this mausoleum was furnished with an organ which he would sit and play when he visited his departed family, his wife’s coffin had a glass window so he could gaze on her face, by this time the business was forgotten, he died on the 3rd of February 1906 aged 77, he left the enormous amount of £137,766, he wouldn’t leave a penny to any local charities. He had strong feelings of anything being in the newspapers about him, he wanted nothing to be printed about his life after his death, the funeral was held in strict secrecy, none of his friends were invited and callers to his home were given no information at all. The clippings of the funeral can be read on Chris Hobbs website, the final few paragraphs were just like a weather report of Moscar. The mausoleum was in the middle of nowhere so it was an easy target for vandals, sometime  in 1985 the remains were re-interred at Crookes Cemetery
Bright`s has been part of the H L Brown family since 1957. Up to the 1990s there was a cutlery firm called Kay Bright and I’ve often wondered if this had any connection to the Bright`s I’ve written about. Sadly there are no family cutlery firms anymore on the scale of the Bright`s, Dixon’s and others, they have all been bought out and stripped of assets but their names do still exist even if the firms don’t, I think British Silverware at Royds Mill Windsor Street and Carr’s at Halfway are the only ones left.
Once again I must thank Geoff Tweedale for most of the information in this article, as I’ve said on numerous occasions, his Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740-2010 is an absolute boon to me and my work.

The group photo shows Members of the Bright Family outside Sharrow Head House, Cemetery Road. The home of Maurice de L Bright, Steel Merchant, until his death in 1902.

13 Taptonville Road in 1856 was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright widow of Maurice Bright of S. Bright & Co Cutlers etc.png

13 Taptonville Road in 1856 was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright widow of Maurice Bright of S. Bright & Co Cutlers etc. 1 png.png

29 Ashdell Road in 1879 was the home of Augustus Bright Merchant & Manufacturer.jpg

The Bright Family at Sharrow Head House.jpg

• Like 1

Hi tozzin, just for you!

It is still at St Nicholas Street, owned and operated by H L Brown family since 1957

100_3684 (2).JPG

On 16/03/2023 at 10:00, tozzin said:

13 Taptonville Road was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright. She was the widow of Maurice Bright, read on my friends. The Bright`s family business was started by Isaac and his sibling Phillip in Sheffield around 1786-7, these two brothers were born somewhere abroad and after they arrived in Sheffield they  became jewellers and silversmiths. The two brothers opened their first shop venture at 20 Market Place, this shop was demolished by the clowns in the town hall to build the Orchard Square development some people may remember it as H. L. Brown, it was  here I bought my wife’s wedding ring, Isaac met the love of his life Ann Micholls and married her soon after in the 1790s, their union resulted in ten children, their two eldest boys, Maurice born 1796 and Selim born in 1799 took on the business when their father Isaac moved to Leamington sometime in the 1820s to open a new jewellers shop with another son, Henry, shortly after Philip relocated to Doncaster to start his own silver and jewellery venture.
The Sheffield business still retained the name Isaac Bright & Sons, jewellers, watchmakers, fine cutlers and merchants and they still had the Market Place shop, sometime in 1831 Maurice and Selim took over the business completely a move that made them very wealthy men but for some reason 16 years later in late January 1847, they went their separate ways. Maurice fell on trouble times he was having great difficulty coming to terms with the loss of his son, his wife’s illness and a general slump in trade, the result of all this led him to slash his throat with a razor on the 30th of August 1848, he was just 51 years old. In 1852 the Sheffield shop had moved into new premises in High Street, this new business was run by Maurice’s widow Henrietta and her son Frederick , in 1861 this business was sold to their agent Alfred Draper, later in 1862 Henrietta and sons Frederick and Herbert moved to Scarborough an opened a jeweller, as far as Im aware this shop is still trading on St Nicholas Street.
On the 27th of July 1849 Isaac had died in Leamington at the grand age of 86, he was buried in Liverpool’s Deane Road Jewish Cemetery, Selim Bright had firmly established himself as Selim Bright & Co on Regent Terrace and Victoria Street both properties have gone, in 1864 this company had works on St James Street and it was here that Selim registered a silver mark, the company made every article of cutlery and tableware you could think of, at heart Selim was a retailer he even opened a shop in the fashionable Crescent in Buxton, he sold all the high quality razors, cutlery plus pen & pocket-knives. He was in partnership with Maurice de Lara Bright his son, later in life Maurice became a steel merchant an a composer of military music.  Bankruptcy knocked on Selim`s door in 1867 over unpaid debts, he retired in 1889 aged 90 years and moved to Liverpool, he passed away on the 8th of January 1891 leaving just £930, a small amount for the type of business he was in, one of Selim`s sons, Augustus, also became a cutlery manufacturer and merchant, another son of Selim`s Horatio, a steel producer, was one of a kind, he renounced his Jewish faith and had a family mausoleum at Hollow Meadows for his wife Alice and his son Sam, they died in 1891, this mausoleum was furnished with an organ which he would sit and play when he visited his departed family, his wife’s coffin had a glass window so he could gaze on her face, by this time the business was forgotten, he died on the 3rd of February 1906 aged 77, he left the enormous amount of £137,766, he wouldn’t leave a penny to any local charities. He had strong feelings of anything being in the newspapers about him, he wanted nothing to be printed about his life after his death, the funeral was held in strict secrecy, none of his friends were invited and callers to his home were given no information at all. The clippings of the funeral can be read on Chris Hobbs website, the final few paragraphs were just like a weather report of Moscar. The mausoleum was in the middle of nowhere so it was an easy target for vandals, sometime  in 1985 the remains were re-interred at Crookes Cemetery
Bright`s has been part of the H L Brown family since 1957. Up to the 1990s there was a cutlery firm called Kay Bright and I’ve often wondered if this had any connection to the Bright`s I’ve written about. Sadly there are no family cutlery firms anymore on the scale of the Bright`s, Dixon’s and others, they have all been bought out and stripped of assets but their names do still exist even if the firms don’t, I think British Silverware at Royds Mill Windsor Street and Carr’s at Halfway are the only ones left.
Once again I must thank Geoff Tweedale for most of the information in this article, as I’ve said on numerous occasions, his Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740-2010 is an absolute boon to me and my work.

The group photo shows Members of the Bright Family outside Sharrow Head House, Cemetery Road. The home of Maurice de L Bright, Steel Merchant, until his death in 1902.

13 Taptonville Road in 1856 was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright widow of Maurice Bright of S. Bright & Co Cutlers etc.png

13 Taptonville Road in 1856 was the home of Mrs Henrietta Bright widow of Maurice Bright of S. Bright & Co Cutlers etc. 1 png.png

29 Ashdell Road in 1879 was the home of Augustus Bright Merchant & Manufacturer.jpg

Missed of the group photo I'll upload it tomorrow 

I wonder if the Bright family you mention, were the same as the wealthy Bright family who built the chapel in 1629 in the Zion cemetery at Attercliffe? I discovered this whilst doing some research for a talk I was giving on the 5 Weirs walk.

38 minutes ago, Bikeman said:

I wonder if the Bright family you mention, were the same as the wealthy Bright family who built the chapel in 1629 in the Zion cemetery at Attercliffe? I discovered this whilst doing some research for a talk I was giving on the 5 Weirs walk.

I would suspect it would be a lot of research go back 300 years to find a link.

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

I would suspect it would be a lot of research go back 300 years to find a link.

Hia. Bit of info that might help.

Jewish brothers, Isaac & Philip Bright, arrived in Sheffield c1786, and both became Jewellers & Silversmiths.                            ----------------------------------  

Thomas Bright of Sheffield, bought Carbrook Hall late 1500s.

It was then occupied by Stephen Bright (1583-1642), who gained the role of bailiff for Hallamshire Sheffield Estates            for the earl's of Arundel & Pembroke, from which he gained his wealth. In 1629, he and William Spencer built Hill Top          Chapel, for the benefit of the local community.  Stephen's brother was Rev John Bright (1594-1693)   Stephen's son was Colonel John Bright.

Regards Heartshome

• Like 1

On 10/04/2023 at 00:38, Heartshome said:

Hia. Bit of info that might help.

Jewish brothers, Isaac & Philip Bright, arrived in Sheffield c1786, and both became Jewellers & Silversmiths.                            ----------------------------------  

Thomas Bright of Sheffield, bought Carbrook Hall late 1500s.

It was then occupied by Stephen Bright (1583-1642), who gained the role of bailiff for Hallamshire Sheffield Estates            for the earl's of Arundel & Pembroke, from which he gained his wealth. In 1629, he and William Spencer built Hill Top          Chapel, for the benefit of the local community.  Stephen's brother was Rev John Bright (1594-1693)   Stephen's son was Colonel John Bright.

Regards Heartshome

Thanks Heartshome, that's very interesting.