Mr William Edward Gray of 2 Rutland Park

tozzin

I must apologize to all forum members for getting my original post wrong.

William Edward Gray

2 Rutland Park

WilliiamEdwardGray.thumb.jpg.25f1c4d87501b0a556e616924f7b0984.jpg

The leaded light must have looked fantastic from the inside looking out, the bottom of the window shows a Heron fishing.

Stained Glass Window Former Home Of George Spencer Waterfall.jpg

1895 Date Stone On Rutland Park House.jpg

House on Rutland Park.jpg

Gate Post Top Rutland Park.jpg

House On Rutland Park 1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Tozzin for recording the building and it's occupier for prosperity, it isn't always possible to view the detail from the street. There's certainly some amazing architectural detail in these properties. 

Keep em coming! 

Your comment on chimney sweep listings was interesting, I too discovered in 3 of the directories I've looked in, no listing for chimney sweeps and others barely a handful. With all the chimneys to be swept I would have thought there would be more. Perhaps we're missing something, even if they plied another trade, in the classified listing they would/should be listed also as "chimney sweep" 

I think the reason that there were few sweeps advertising via the Directories was that 40 of the town's reputable sweeps were signed up by the Sheffield Mechanical Sweeping Association (from 1848). Customers had to request a sweep via the main office at 47 Wicker, and one would be despatched.  These reputable sweeps used brushes of various designs.  The unreputable sweeps probably kept under the radar, as they often employed children to climb the chimneys, which although much legislation was passed to prevent this, it was not effective until 1875 when an Act required sweeps to register with the police who could check that they complied.  Soot from Sheffield was being sold to farmers in Lincolnshire (via the new railways) in 1848.  I believe that the only benefit of speading soot was to darken the soil, helping it warm up quicker and hasten the growing season.

On 15/03/2023 at 07:49, tozzin said:

Stained Glass Window Former Home Of George Spencer Waterfall.jpg

1895 Date Stone On Rutland Park House.jpg

House on Rutland Park.jpg

Gate Post Top Rutland Park.jpg

House On Rutland Park 1.jpg

Hi Tozzin. Nice one! Yes, an interesting family. I did a study on them a while back, but the house address I have

is 2 Rutland Park, now BHP accountants. Fab stained glass window! regards Heartshome.

Edit: incorrect info removed

SteveHB.

5 hours ago, Edmund said:

I think the reason that there were few sweeps advertising via the Directories was that 40 of the town's reputable sweeps were signed up by the Sheffield Mechanical Sweeping Association (from 1848). Customers had to request a sweep via the main office at 47 Wicker, and one would be despatched.  These reputable sweeps used brushes of various designs.  The unreputable sweeps probably kept under the radar, as they often employed children to climb the chimneys, which although much legislation was passed to prevent this, it was not effective until 1875 when an Act required sweeps to register with the police who could check that they complied.  Soot from Sheffield was being sold to farmers in Lincolnshire (via the new railways) in 1848.  I believe that the only benefit of speading soot was to darken the soil, helping it warm up quicker and hasten the growing season.

Thanks Edmund, it had crossed my mind it was something to do with the Act, but I'd failed to connect Aitchison Patrick & Co, 47 Wicker at first chimney sweeping contractors then 1852 were agents for the Mechanical Sweeping Association, I really must do joined up thinking (posted under Aitchison, Buxton & Co. brass founders) Thanks again for getting my brain in gear. 

4 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Tozzin. Nice one! Yes, an interesting family. I did a study on them a while back, but the house address I have

is 2 Rutland Park, now BHP accountants. Fab stained glass window! regards Heartshome.

Number 2 maybe the adjoining house that BHP also use as offices.

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

Number 2 maybe the adjoining house that BHP also use as offices.

Hi Tozzin. I'm so sorry! their registered address is NUMBER 2, RUTLAND PARK, Broomhall, S10 2PD. I just checked.

Number 11, is on the opposite side, further up the road. In a row, it's a 3 storey house with a garage underneath. 

Okeydokey, Heartshome xx

9 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Tozzin. I'm so sorry! their registered address is NUMBER 2, RUTLAND PARK, Broomhall, S10 2PD. I just checked.

Number 11, is on the opposite side, further up the road. In a row, it's a 3 storey house with a garage underneath. 

Okeydokey, Heartshome xx

1901 Directory

RUTLAND PARK. 
(Glarkehouse road.) Rutland terrace
1 Laver Mrs. Elizabeth Mary 
9 Phillips Alfred Lawn, secretary 
11 Waterfall George Spencer, steel manufacturer
13 Merrils Fredk. J. F.c.s. analyst 
15 Tasker John A. engineer 
17 & 19 Taylor Miss Ella 
23 Smith Wm. Steel, 
23 Sandford Chas. Sidney, surveyor 
25 Moulson Miss Grace 
29 Nowell John, cutlery manufactr 
33 Tasker Mrs. Fred 
35 Wain Mrs. Sarah E .
37 Sutton Thomas H. clerk 
39 Coombe Cecil A. stock & share 
broker 108 Morton Harry, 
41 Smith Miss Ellen Parker 
Wilks Edward John ironmonger
CLRKEHOUSE ROAD

• Like 1

Could I question the letters in the initials?  I would agree with the G and the W but the other letter is very stylised.  It looks more like an E than an S to me?

From June 1899 until 1925 number 2 Rutland Park was occupied by William Edwards Gray, surgical instrument maker, and his wife Edith - the initials WEG would match them.

The Waterfalls occupied number 11 Rutland Park from late 1899 to early 1904, when it became superior apartments until 1910.

Also above the initials is a very tangled date - I think 1895.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Could I question the letters in the initials?  I would agree with the G and the W but the other letter is very stylised.  It looks more like an E than an S to me?

From June 1899 until 1925 number 2 Rutland Park was occupied by William Edwards Gray, surgical instrument maker, and his wife Edith - the initials WEG would match them.

The Waterfalls occupied number 11 Rutland Park from late 1899 to early 1904, when it became superior apartments until 1910.

Also above the initials is a very tangled date - I think 1895.

WOW Edmund! you sure are good! All the info we have, will have to be amended! the write-up's and the photo details.

Thank you. Heartshome 👍

6 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 12-06-35 post-188-1220700309.jpg (JPEG Image 2655 × 3051 pixels).png

Thanks Steve. Yes, this is the house with the photographs and the lovely window on the corner  - No 2

Hi everyone.  Even the BIG BOYS got this wrong!

Read the star:- 

Title; Meet George Spencer Waterfall of Rutland Park| The Star

Dated:- 28th Feb 2019

As you can see, even they have his house & description as No 2 BHP

Thought they had investigative archivists to check on information.    

57 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi everyone.  Even the BIG BOYS got this wrong!

Read the star:- 

Title; Meet George Spencer Waterfall of Rutland Park| The Star

Dated:- 28th Feb 2019

As you can see, even they have his house & description as No 2 BHP

Thought they had investigative archivists to check on information.    

First time I've been called Big Boy even though I'm 6ft 2 inches and thanks to Edmund I've been corrected.

3 hours ago, tozzin said:

First time I've been called Big Boy even though I'm 6ft 2 inches and thanks to Edmund I've been corrected.

HA! nice one! I've been corrected too! got my info from details ages back written by someone else, but they

obviously got it wrong as well! Regards H.

3 hours ago, Heartshome said:

HA! nice one! I've been corrected too! got my info from details ages back written by someone else, but they

obviously got it wrong as well! Regards H.

Found the info on William E Gray:-

William Edwards Gray B 1857 father Joseph

William Edwards Gray age 24 of New George Street - married - Edith Willey age 22 of Clarke Grove, father John 

at St Mary Bramall Lane - 24th Feb 1881

Edith Gray of Rutland Park - died 13th August 1913 age 54

William Edwards Gray - died 10th October 1936 age 79 at 2 Rutland Park

Ok H