Chimney Sweeps

Ponytail

Chimney Sweeping Apparatus

A private meeting held at the Cutlers Hall to hear an explanation from Col. Ellis of his improved chimney sweeping machine. 

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 17th July 1847.

IMG_20230313_193939.thumb.jpg.40922878ccdd04326be8c91f93c5cd19.jpg

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01965&pos=5&action=zoom&id=115154

Apprenticeship Indenture dated 3rd August 1836, James Barker son of John Barker, pen knife cutler of Snow Hill, as a chimney sweep to Henry Campbell for 6 years. 

Robson's Directory 1839

Campbell, H., 13 Castle Folds Lane, chimney sweeper. 

1841 & 1845 Directories, Henry Campbell, 13 Castle Folds.  Not listed 1849

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Glass_(inventor)

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/History-Boy-Chimney-Sweep/

https://intriguing-history.com/chimney-sweeps-act-1834/

https://jamesthesweep.co.uk/childrens-page-history/

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/livinglearning/19thcentury/overview/childrenchimneys/

In reference to the last comment on the article, It was an awful job for a small child, some were known to get stuck as well.

It must have been frightening in some cases, and can't have done their health much good Either.

But back in those days, I guess if a child could bring in some money for the family, they were happy to let them do the job.

Just another bit of info on Chimney Sweeping!  If there was a somewhat narrow chimney that needed cleaning, they would

drop a CHICKEN down it!! Poor thing!   Regards Heartshome.

• Like 1

Whites Directory 1852

Barker, Jas, sweep, 31 Trippit Lane. 

He must have survived his apprenticeship. 

I know that in Hinckley, Leicestershire there was a case when Richard Campbell, of Hinckley, a sweep, was charged by Supt. Moore with allowing  a youth under 21 years of age, to ascend chimney at Hinckley, on the 25th of July 1862.

Interesting post.
A charity I was involved with rented 38 Garden Street in the early 2000s, and in an earlier Kellys this address was shown as a "Chimney Sweep machine manufacturers". I had not connected the implications and connections with child labour. Looks like this was the area of the city for such machines, looking at other posts??? !!

You might enjoy this from my family history -     Chimney sweeps are  a rare sight nowadays with the advent of gas fires and central heating. During my childhood they were frequently to be seen riding about on their bikes with their brushes strapped to their backs and their faces black with soot. It would create a bit of amusement for the children around who stood around watching and waiting for the brushes to appear out of the chimney tops. Dad as usual, loathe to waste money on something he felt he could do just as well as anyone else, bought his own set of brushes. No matter how careful he was soot still got everywhere. All the furniture would be moved back and covered with old sheets and the carpet rolled back. A sheet would be draped over the fireplace under which he would disappear along with the brushes and extending rods. Invariably he would get the brushes stuck up the chimney and amid much swearing, cursing and large amounts of falling soot, Mum would inevitably get the blame for it all. We would keep being sent outside to see if the brush had appeared yet. When the rods and the brush were finally pulled down there would always be a large fall of soot and dad would emerge coughing, spluttering and cursing with a black face. People of my generation often say there is nothing to beat a coal fire. Perhaps there isn't when you do see a good one burning but what about trying to light one on a cold winter's morning. No thank you. First there was the grate to empty and the ash-pan. Crumpled up newspaper would be placed in the grate with firewood placed sparingly across it and if mum could afford it firelighters. Decent sized pieces of coal would then be placed on and the newspaper lit. The shovel would be propped up across the front and a sheet of newspaper placed across it to help 'draw the fire'. More often than not the sheet of newspaper would catch fire too. Some housewives would throw sugar or lighter fluid on to help get it going and many a chimney fire would be started that way. Coal fires were only warm if you were sat on top of them: the back of you would be freezing.

• Like 4

Coal fires were good for toasting your bread with a toasting fork, then you could get in front of it for a warm as well, but careful the bread didn't drop off the fork. Toast never tasted the same when we "went electric" and had to put it under the gas cookers grill. Sorry I digress. 

A downside of coal fires if you hadn't swept your chimney regularly, risked a fall of soot putting out the fire and making a real mess in the room with soot and smoke. 

Do these modern day wood/coal burning stoves need their flues/chimneys sweeping?

It won't be as much fun to watch. 

Not sure if I'm imagining this, or maybe I have finally lost the plot?

But I seem to remember something that could be bought that resembled a firework, it was  a small cardboard box that was placed on or in the fire, and  it would supposedly blow or burn away the soot deposits inside the chimney.

On 13/03/2023 at 22:10, Heartshome said:

In reference to the last comment on the article, It was an awful job for a small child, some were known to get stuck as well.

It must have been frightening in some cases, and can't have done their health much good Either.

But back in those days, I guess if a child could bring in some money for the family, they were happy to let them do the job.

Just another bit of info on Chimney Sweeping!  If there was a somewhat narrow chimney that needed cleaning, they would

drop a CHICKEN down it!! Poor thing!   Regards Heartshome.

Another method was to climb onto the roof and fire a couple of shotgun cartridges down the chimney!

Regards,

Jay.

On 17/03/2023 at 20:02, SteveHB said:

Not sure if I'm imagining this, or maybe I have finally lost the plot?

But I seem to remember something that could be bought that resembled a firework, it was  a small cardboard box that was placed on or in the fire, and  it would supposedly blow or burn away the soot deposits inside the chimney.

I think the best known version was "Imp" soot destroyer, which came in a cardboard box.  A liquid version was "Witch".  Wilko's still sell a version in sachets. 

My dad's cure for a chimney on fire was to put a saucepan full of salt water to boil but strangely enough the fire went out in the chimney.

5 hours ago, Edmund said:

I think the best known version was "Imp" soot destroyer, which came in a cardboard box.  A liquid version was "Witch".  Wilko's still sell a version in sachets. 

That's the one!

Thank's

I realise this thread is about the sweeps of the town but Ive been reading a book called Edinburgh Old Town Journeys and Evocations by John Fee.

Here's his perfect remembrance of the open coal fires, i would think we all can relate to this, well most of us can.

image.png.c4681838159c5efe3125fd976fcf1c04.png

Auld Reekie2.jpg

Auld Reekie3.jpg

John Fee 1.jpg

• Like 1