Claremont Place, off Glossop Road

Ponytail

Claremont Place off Glossop Road

Wanted to find which property was West Lodge during research thought it would be interesting to identify who lived in these properties before some were demolished and others taken over by the Hospital. 

Whites Directory 1879.

IMG_20230308_101319.jpg.abea38fe14cefff80c34ae4a1a7b8d92.jpg

West Lodge, Claremont Place, off Glossop Road was No 15. 

Thomas Burdett Turton of Thomas Turton & Son, lived there for a number of years.

Charles F Butcher of the Butcher Works also died at West Lodge 10th January 1924.

The are are 8  properties shown on the 1850 map unfortunately not named on 1850's or 1903 maps.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345217

Apologies my attempts to highlight Claremont Place failed. 

No. 10 a Listed Building, Robert Jackson of Spear & Jackson lived there in 1840/50's

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101270978-10-claremont-place-broomhill-and-sharrow-vale-ward#.ZAhQ4-ynxkw

Nos 2, 4, 6 & 8 are owned by Sheffield Teaching Hospital Trust. 

The odd numbers on Claremont Place were demolished. 

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3816299

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3816295

Photograph Titled "House on the corner of Claremont Place and Glossop Road."

s16322.jpg.5fa0e3838b69fe219b203226f0a721ef.jpg

s16322  Taken by National Buildings Record. 

Some past residents of Claremont Place. 

John Knox, surgeon lived at No. 1 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y08242&pos=6&action=zoom&id=116197

Joseph Archer (1814-1912) engineer

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y08579&pos=7&action=zoom&id=116440

Joseph Fletcher Archer, colliery engineer

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y08580&pos=8&action=zoom&id=116441

• Like 1

Not quite Place but only just up on the bend. His offices are shown in Paradise Street.

Number 21 Claremont Crescent at look at the success story of the Bramley family, the horned mythical beast can be seen on number 21 and it was designed by Herbert Francis Bramley, Architect & Surveyor, for himself and his family, Francis was the son of Edward Bramley, solicitor of the town and he was the very first Town Clerk of Sheffield a post he held from 1850 to 1865, I’ve tried to trace Edward with my limited resources and I found him living and working as a Solicitor at number 7 St James Row, this short row had only seven properties on it numbered from one to seven but I couldn’t find a number five strangely enough, at number one Henry Jackson & Son were practicing Surgeons(Doctors) at number two lived William Corsan, Draper, next door at number three another Draper resided, Mr David Smith but he was a travelling salesman, by horseback of course, at number four lived Thomas Carr and his wife Mary both listed, Thomas was a Stay maker and Mary was a Dressmaker, at number six lived William Unwin, a varied collection of professional people you would agree.  In 1825 only three properties are listed on the Row by 1852 this number had risen to nine but again strange numbering, number one, then nine to eleven, no number twelve, then thirteen to sixteen, no seventeen, finally number eighteen. So what happened to the numbers from one to nine I cant say, renumbering ? Back to the Bramley`s,  by 1841 Edward had moved to premises at number six Paradise Square, this number was hard to find the only number six I can assume was near the top of Paradise Street, in 1852 Edward had bought a property at Westcliffe somewhere around Witham Road, in the same year Edward had acquired a partner, Robert John Gainsford, a partnership that was very successful and brought wealth to both men, Robert Gainsford lived at Darnall Hall, also known as Staniforth Hall which was built by Samuel Staniforth in 1723, Edward was living at Oakhill House Crookes Moor, correct spelling, Edward continued to have great success in his career  until his death on the 12th of March 1865.
In 1879 his Architect son Herbert, was living at number12 Claremont Crescent  but by 1893 he was sharing the house with a Mr Charles Henry Smith now the house is part of the N.H.S., could it be that he sold number 12 and moved in with Charles Smith while his new home was being built? by 1899 Herbert had moved into his new home at number 21  with his wife Ann and son Henry Rickard Bramley, this property is now occupied by a department of the N.H.S. most of the substantial properties in this area are now owned by the N.H.S. or the University, by 1905 Herbert’s father was a Law Lecturer at the University and he had Moscar Cottage at Hollow meadows & Broomfield Lodge on Watson Road, he lived to be one hundred years old, he died on the 18th of December 1968.  In the 1911 Kelly’s Directory Edward Francis Herbert wife Ann is the only person listed at their family home, so its logical to assume her husband must have passed away, it seems her son Henry Rickards had moved out and was living and working out of number 42 Bank Street, still there fortunately.  Just a street away from Claremont Crescent stands a house at number 9 Wellesley Road, a very desirable property and on researching this area it seems this house was owned by the Wesleyans from around the late 1890s, a progression of churchmen lived at the property, in 1893 at the Wesleyan Chapel on Carver Street, the Rev Thomas Withington is listed as one of the clergy in 1901 the Reverent Arthur Rudman was living at the house on Wellesley Road, so it was a fair distance to travel to the Carver Street church every day, either walking or riding it was a bit of a trek, by 1905 the Reverent Albert Windsor Yeo was the incumbent but still having to do that daily trek, he in turn was replaced by the Reverent Henry George Roberts and still at the carver Street Chapel.
Henry Rickards Bramley rose high in his profession as a Barrister, he attained the post of Assistant Recorder and passed away on the 20th of July 1958, he died peacefully at his home at number 72 Crimicar Lane, now the house resounds to the chatter and laughter of young pre-school children who attend the Garden house Nursery School which operates from Henrys old home.
All around the area of Northumberland Road, Witham Road, Claremont Crescent and Wellesley Road are some really cracking properties and most have a story to tell, its good these properties have been retained albeit for the N.H.S., the University or private dwellings, it’s a terrible thing that a progression of councils have committed architectural cleansing by removing our old buildings and giving the nod to property developers to deluge the city with terrible flats for students or for private sale, our Victorian properties which are due for demolition could be incorporated into any new development quite easily, seems to me and many others that Julie Dore just doesn’t care a fig for Sheffield’s heritage, my grandson Liam recently returned from a short break in Budapest and he brought me back a booklet on the city, the buildings are an absolute delight and no modern structures blight to the city, seems the Germans are blamed for destroying our city, they did damage it very badly but why did we replace our old building with the concrete boxes that are now on the Moor and High Street, seems did a better job than Hitler

No 21 Claremont Crescent.jpg

Mythical Beast No 21 Claremont Crescent.jpg

No6 Paradise Square offices of Francis Herbert Bramley 1905.jpg

Claremont Place

Whites Directory 1852.

IMG_20230308_113425.jpg.c9018290f572bf0d777f58812d06871b.jpg

Whites Directory 1856.

IMG_20230308_112048.jpg.735710f2d3c80103217a7615aa25328d.jpg

Whites Directory 1862

IMG_20230308_113931.jpg.35e4966d2cd74af85f45387961975614.jpg

Whites Directory 1879

IMG_20230308_101319.jpg

Whites Directory 1905

IMG_20230308_120136.jpg.5e6ec0ae449928282eb14670480e637b.jpg

I was mistaken, there were 9 properties 1850's on Claremont Place. West Lodge had a drive onto Claremont Place but as Tozzin refers to  just up on the bend on Claremont Crescent, West Lodge was more likely the property with the large garden with Tree Root Walk bordering one side and Claremont Crescent on the other. (See Godfrey Map Sheffield West 1903 Map  294.07) 

1 hour ago, Ponytail said:

I was mistaken, there were 9 properties 1850's on Claremont Place. West Lodge had a drive onto Claremont Place but as Tozzin refers to  just up on the bend on Claremont Crescent, West Lodge was more likely the property with the large garden with Tree Root Walk bordering one side and Claremont Crescent on the other. (See Godfrey Map Sheffield West 1903 Map  294.07) 

Sheffield Wes_cropt.jpg

• Thanks 1

WEST LODGE & grounds, were where the Boots dispensary and yard are now.

Tree Root Walk used to be a lot longer.

• Thanks 1