How did Laurence Frederick Peacock take those photographs?

Ponytail

Laurence Frederick Peacock took many images of the devastation in the days after the Sheffield Flood of 1864. The glass slides created, he used to give illustrated talks about the experience. Originally 157 slides, only 80 survived to be deposited in 1941 with Sheffield City Libraries. 

Fortunately, Mr. Peacock's notes were saved by family members and a copy of which was passed to Malcolm Nunn, at the time Bradfield Archivist, who by his entertaining Flood Walks and Talks over a number of years have helped to keep the memory alive . 

In 2009 Malcolm very kindly put the glass slides in order and linked them with the narrative. Modern day technology meant they could be digitalized, ensuring the contents could be viewed again this time by a wider audience. 

There are two images that show how Laurence Peacock travelled, the dark room he used and what I thought were humorous incidents he recounted in the process of obtaining those images.

Chapman's & Denton's Works with dark room. 

w01329.jpg.61a0e97950bbf6ee048d2fc63f972f59.jpg

Picture Sheffield   w01329

The following is the narrative Mr. Peacock gave accompanying the image at his lectures.

"All that was left of these extensive Works were a few wheels. Young Denton and an apprentice were at work, Denton had gone to the door to have a mouthful of fresh air when he heard the Flood approaching and shouting to his companion, he then ran up the hillside but the apprentice did not have time to escape - his body was found the next day in the mud buried in the ruins."

"Taking photographs at the time of the Flood was very different to what it is now, it was called the wet process and we had to take a dark room or workshop with us, wherein we prepared the plates and also developed them, for we had to take sundry bottles of chemicals, a stock of glass, grooved boxes to put the plates in, wash leather, cistern of water, measures, cups and various other things. There were not many amateurs in those days it was too hard work and too dirty, for a photographer could always be told by the black stains on his hands."

"However, in the bottom corner at the right-hand side of the picture you will see my dark room with the youth who pushed it along, it ran on four wheels. 

When we were returning home from one of our excursions, a thunderstorm came on suddenly and the rain descended in torrents, there was no house or shelter near so wheeling the dark room to the side of the road, where there was no footpath, we both got inside and closed the door to keep the rain out. We had not been there very long before the storm abated a little, but it still rained too heavy to be pleasant when walking. In a short time two men, evidently tramps, came down the road and seeing the dark room stopped to examine it - the window at the front being dark yellow glass they could not see inside and of course, could not get in as I had fastened the door from inside and something like the following conversation took place. 

"Si thi Bill, what's this" 

"Ah don't know but it's a rum un" 

"Ah wonder whose it is" 

"Ah don't know but we've fon it first"

"Ah we've fon it, that's certain" 

At this point of the dialogue one of our friends climbed on the top of the dark room so as to have a good look round and not seeing anyone, got down. 

"Th's nob'dy about now - what shall we do wi it" 

"We'll tack it into Sheffield, it'll push and we'll get summat for finding it" 

They then commenced pushing it."

"Na' then Bill, it's heavy, ah soap it's full o' sovrins. 

"Wat if it war that couldn't count em" 

"But tha can spend em and neer mind counting, but ah shouldn't like to thrust it up t'hill." 

And so, the interesting conversation continued, I have no doubt that the dark room was heavy, for our weight would make it hard work to push although the road was slightly downhill. Whilst we were inside it was hard work to keep silent for, we were laughing immoderately but to cut a long tale short we at last arrived at Hillsbro' Bridge, the rain had long since ceased and as our friends were taking us to Owlerton way, I suddenly unbolted the door and we both stepped out. Their surprise can be better imagined than described. They stood still and stared at us but did not utter a single word. I said we are not going that way and thanked them for the ride and gave each man sixpence but they never moved, we turned over Hillsbro' Bridge and past the Barracks home, we kept looking back until a turning in the road hid them from our sight as far as we could see, they were still standing where we left them, where they were standing."

• Thanks 1

Turner's Wheel. 

w00438.jpg.cba00149f641da16f3e9cc4cae1baf85.jpgw00438

Mr. Peacocks' narrative with the image. 

"Turner's Grinding Wheel was levelled to the ground, a few wheels only being left - no one was working there that night so there were no deaths to record. This Wheel was facing a row of houses that were entirely swept away.

Before we change this view, I will again draw your attention to my dark room as I have previously explained it ran on four wheels but when I had a long journey to go, I engaged a donkey and cart and lifted the dark room onto the cart which made it much easier travelling.

You will perceive the turnout on the road behind the ruins. My Carriage and Pair - I mean dark room with donkey and cart, you must remember the roads were very bad to traverse being full of large stones and bricks and having deep holes washed in them by the force of the water.  All the bridges being washed away and the rivers had to be forded. 

Now it is well known that donkeys as a rule have a way of their own and if they think they won't - why they won't. Now our donkey was no exception to this rule and when he came to the water at Bradfield he thought he wouldn't cross - and he wouldn't. The water three feet or three feet six inches deep and about fifty Navvies were at work round about, some getting out the foundations for the new bridge and others rebuilding the boundary walls. After a good laugh at our predicament one of them came to me and offered along with his mates to carry the whole lot across for half a crown, donkey, cart, dark room and three passengers. 

They got some poles putting one through both wheels and two under the donkey, a man on either end of each pole, that is 10 men carried the whole lot across. Then three of them returned for my boy, the driver and myself, we mounted their backs and were taken across the water, and so we proceeded on our journey to the broken Reservoir. 

This carrying procedure had to be repeated on the way home. The donkey crossed the water at Damflask without trouble and strange to say he recrossed at Damflask on returning without much trouble but he would not cross at Bradfield, he would not even face the river. As I could not take all my views in one day I had more than one journey across these fords but only one to Bradfield."

I will now tell you another day's adventure and the trick the donkey played. In going he crossed the river at Damflask without trouble but on returning he would not face the water, however with a lot of pushing and pulling we got him as far as we could reach to push the back of the cart, he then calmly sat down in the middle of the river, as a dog generally sits, with nothing but his head out of the water and there he stayed for over two hours, for we could not get to him either back or front. 

Now as above and below this ford was deep water and this was the only place for conveyance to cross and as he had blocked the passage there was soon a collection of carriages and cabs with visitors, carts, wagons at either side waiting to cross. At first the people tried to chaff me and asked me to go in and carry my baby out but as I was not to be annoyed by their jokes they soon gave over. 

Then they lost their temper and if you could have heard the grumbling and suggestions addressed to me, the innocent cause of the stoppage you would have laughed as I did until my sides ached. 

At last, I had to pay a carter who unyoked his horse and waded into the river, he fastened a chain to our cart shafts and his horse dragged the donkey and the cart out of the way. The poor thing had taken cramp with being so long in the water and we had to spend another hour rubbing it's legs before it could stand, so you going out photographing is not always a very pleasant job - but to return to the ruins at Malin Bridge"........ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Malcolm Nunn had done research on Laurence Frederick Peacock and 2009 supplied the following information. 

u06544.jpg.693d830942a84bd624a831c5173a73fd.jpg

u06544  Laurence Frederick Peacock 

Born. Quarter ending Sept 1838 in Leeds District son of Thomas & Ann Peacock. 

Married Q/E June 1859 Sheffield District to Arabella Turner

Died Q/E June 1900 aged 61 Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

Arabella died Q/E June 1883 aged 47 Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

1841 Census. 

Living at Blackelly, Bradford West End with his parents and 2 brothers and 3 sisters, father's and eldest brothers (only ones of working age) occupations "Merchant Drapers" 

1851 Census

He is living at 5 Paradise Square, Sheffield with his parents and 2 sisters. Father's occupation " A dealer in cutlery" he is listed as a scholar, sisters no occupation despite being 28 and 25 years old. 

1861 Census. 

Living at New Cemetery Road, Sheffield with wife Arabella with one year old daughter Emma Jane. His occupation "Cashier at Midland Railway, Sheffield" 

1871 Census. 

Living at Victoria Street, Sheffield with Arabella, children Emma aged 10, Thomas F, 6 and Ann E, 2. Emma and Thomas described as scholars. Laurence is described as "Photographer" 

1881 Census. 

Still living at 2 Victoria Street, Sheffield, his mother Ann is given as a widow and head of the household. His occupation "Photographers Assistant" Also in the household, wife Arabella, children Emma Jane 21 no occupation, Thomas Frederick 16, a "photographers assistant" and Ann Elly 12 a scholar. 

1891 Census. 

Living at 104 Gell Street, Sheffield a widow (Arabella died 1883) his occupation "Photographer" Also Ann E, 22 no occupation, Herbert, son 14, "Errand boy to cabinet maker" born Whittington Moor, Lily daughter aged 11 scholar born Barlow Grange, George L. son aged 9 born Whittington Moor. 

Malcolm asked the question, where Herbert and Lily were on the 1881 census. 

Further research revealed. 

1881 Census

2 Hewitt Houses, Whittingham, Derbyshire, Frederick Peacock aged 40 born Leeds occupation "photographer" Henrietta Peacock, wife aged 29 born Sheffield, Herbert, son 4 born Whittington Moor and Lily daughter aged 1 born Barlow Grange. 

Looking further into it he couldn't find a birth or marriage of Frederick and Henrietta but found a death of a Henrietta Peacock Q/E March 1884 aged 34 in Ecclesall Bierlow District. No birth of Herbert but a birth of Lily Peacock Q/E March 1880 in Chesterfield District and also of George Laurence Peacock in Q/E March 1882 in Chesterfield District. 

Malcolm writes, 

"If we read into these details as factual it would appear that he had 2 wives at the same time, having 3 children with Arabella and 3 children with Henrietta. If as it appears that he fathered 6 children  I have traced what happened to them" 

Emma Jane born 1861 married Henry Cartwright Hemmingway Q/E March 1885 in Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

Thomas Frederick born 1865 died Q/E September 1887 in Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

Ann Elly born 1869 married Henry Battersby Q/E June 1900 in Ecclesall District. 

Herbert born 1877 died Q/E March 1893 in Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

Lily born 1880 was still single on the 1901 Census living in St. Andrews Vicarage, Oakenshaw, Castleford as a servant.

George Laurence born 1882 does not appear on the 1901 census but is on the 1911 living in Ecclesall Bierlow District. 

Hi Ponytail. Seems that Laurence liked a bit of diversity in his life!   I have some updates to add to the above:-

Laurence/Lawrence Frederick Peacock - b 1838 Leeds - to Thomas & Ann

First wife & family!

1841, Blackelly - with parents = 1851, 5 Paradise Sq - with parents

1859, 16th June at Brook Hill, Sheffield - married Arabella Turner (b1836) 

1861, New Cemetery Rd - with Arabella & family

1871,  & 1881, 2 Victoria St - with Arabella & family + mother Ann

1883, death of Arabella age 34

1891, 104 Gell St - widowed with extended family + Eliza Botfield servant

Second wife & Family!

1881, Frederick Peacock (age 40 b Leeds), 2 Hewitt Houses -

with 'wife' Henrietta (age 29 b Sheffield) + Herbert & Lily/Lilly (George Laurence b 1882)

( she must have been living as his common-law wife, note he calls himself just Frederick Peacock! and living out of Sheffield, that's how he got away with it!

They ACTUALLY married after Arabella's death in 1883)

1883, Nottingham - Lawrence Frederick Peacock - married Henrietta Wildgoose( b1851 Ecclesall Beirlow) 

( Henrietta b Oct 1851, Ecclesall Beirlow - to Samuel Wildgoose = 1861, at Nether Green he widowed with Henrietta & Rebecca= 1871, Henrietta age 19 

servant to Levick family Standfield Place, Manchester Rd          

1884, death of Henrietta age 34                       

Third wife

1894, 27th March, Sheffield St Silas, Gilcar - married Eliza Botfield(b 1871) residence Gell St (servant in 1891)

He died 1900 - she died 1945

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this info adds a little more interest to his story for you. Ok Heartshome        

• Thanks 1