Looking for record relating to filesmith Francis Hawke

mistertaylor

I’m stuck with one of my ancestors, James Vickers (c1737-1809), so I’ve been researching his acquaintances. This lead me to look at Francis Hawke, a filesmith and fellow Methodist, who was buried in Sheffield on 25th October 1805.

From “Reminiscences of Old Sheffield”, Hawke’s sister was James Vickers’ first wife. Another sister of Hawke’s married Josiah Stephenson.

I’ve found a record for John Vickers (who possibly was James’ son) marrying a Sarah Hawke in Sheffield on 29th Feb 1788. Witness was George Butcher (who was possibly John’s brother-in-law), but again struggling to break through - looking for any records relating to Francis Hawke, his sisters and their husbands - thanks!

Possible marriages for Francis include Ann Rogg in 1760 and Keturah Hoole in 1786.

Try these - but beware risk of getting the wrong person wiith these old records.  All births/marriages are at Sheffield Parish.

Francis Hawke bapt 2nd July 1740, (son of William, a cutler), married Ann Ragg on 13th October 1760. Their children were:

1. Ann Hawke bapt 7th October 1761, married Samuel Bingham on 14th February 1788, witnesses were George Hobson and Fanny Morris (guess, illegible?)

2. Elizabeth Hawke bapt 24th August 1763, married John Stevenson on 9th May 1784, witnesses were Mary Lee and Sarah Hawke (sister)

3. Francis Hawke bapt 25th December 1765, married Keturah Hoole on 17th December 1786, witnesses were John Stevenson and John Hall.  Francis was a file manufacturer of Garden street, and died aged 59 on 16th August 1825 after a short illness.

4. Sarah Hawke bapt 15th February 1769, married John Vickers on 29th February 1788, witnesses were Mary Dewsbery and George Butcher

5. John Hawke bapt 17th January 1772, married Sarah Hurst on 26th September 1792, witnesses were Samuel Lister and John Vickers (brother in law)

6. Mary Hawke bapt 18th September 1774, married Thomas Bramwell on 11th December 1794, witnesses were Sarah Vickers (sister) and John Worth (guess, illegible?)

7. Molly Hawke bapt 28th February 1777 no further record found

Gales and Martins 1787 Directory shows Francis Hawke and Son, filesmiths at Allen Street (which was adjacent to Garden street)

The Cutlers Apprentices records show Francis Hawke, son of Francis, filesmith, apprenticed to his father,gaining his freedom in 1778 - he would be only 13 years old, so possibly funny business going on here.

A Fairbanks plan of Francis Hawkes' premises in Crabtree Dole, Allen Lane in 1788:    PictureSheffield Francis Hawkes premises 1788  and PictureSheffield 2 plots in Crabtree Close and PictureSheffield Hawkes second lot

• Thanks 1

Since it was written around 100 years after the fact I wonder if the James Vickers mentioned in “Reminiscences of Old Sheffield…” was in fact his son John (I’ve seen this elsewhere where they list John Vickers as the original Britannia Metal manufacturer). In this case, it makes sense that John Vickers marrying Sarah Hawke was witnessed by George Butcher (who from James Vickers’ will was John’s brother-in-law). Also John Stevenson could be misremembered “Josiah Stephenson”.

John (who was now a widower) also married Martha Kirk in 1812, so that matches with them saying he married Francis’ sister as his first wife.