Carlton House, Attercliffe

Ponytail

Carlton House, Attercliffe.

The old houses of the East End and North of Sheffield have always intrigued me, such a shame they were neglected and demolished for various reasons. Some years ago I came across images of Carlton House and intended at some time to do more research.

Posting information about Spear & Jackson reminded me I never did follow up on the full history of the house. 

s25104(1).jpg.08f0962b5e80ff00d58efba45cb99f83.jpgs25104      dated 4th April 1968.

A former Doctors Surgery, Carlton House, No. 21 Kimberley Street, Attercliffe with Carlton Street in the background. 

s25103(1).jpg.c1f5f32a479dcaac8af64037371b72a3.jpgs25103

Sketch by Sheffield Telegraph artist, not named. 

Information with the images and a reference to The Sheffield Spectator, May 1966, Volume 10 No. 14 pages 17 & 18.

The original Manor House burned down in 1761 with a large loss of valuable paintings, statues and other works of art.

The house was marked on a map of 1777. In 1819 when the tenant was Thomas Howard, the house faced a large pleasure garden and pond of 1 1/2 acres in extent with a long winding carriage drive to the main road. Close to Oakes Green which was once Attercliffe "Village Green" 

Samuel Jackson (1798-1867) of Spear and Jackson lived there from the 1830's. 

For many years a doctors surgery,

Whites Directory 1901 & 1905 

21 Kimberley Street

Sheahan, Thomas A, physician &etc.

By WWII the premises of Alfred A Markham & Son, undertakers, joiners and shop fitters. 

I'd like to fill in the gaps, locate any maps, photos etc. 

Thanks Edmund. 

Very impressive, can see why Samuel Jackson stayed so long there. Of course, industry was encroaching. Whoever bought the property after Samuel's demise, capitalised on  building houses etc. in the grounds.