Hollis Trustees

mistertaylor

Hello,

In researching my family history, I note that one of my ancestors, James Vickers (Britannia Metal manufacturer), left to his daughters, Hannah Stacye and Elizabeth West, "his Leasehold Estates held under Hollis Trustees & to their [respective?] children, subject to the ground rent to be paid equally”.

Presumably this is in relation to the Hollis Hospital - perhaps a slightly obvious question, but what does this actually mean? Were the family trustees, did they own some of the hospital land? thanks! 

The 1828 "Reports From The Commissioners" regarding charities includes a section (page 589) on the Hollis Hospital which lists the people who were leasing property from the Trustees. ( Reports from Commissioners 1828 ) That income was used to maintain the hospital buildings and pay for the upkeep of the widows living at the hospital.  As I understand it, these leases could be passed on by the holders to their heirs, who would obviously have to continue paying rent to the Trustees.

This report is 18 years after the death of James Vickers, but the list of lessees does include a James Vicars leasing a 15 square yard plot in Hollis street (should be Hollis Croft) for 15 shillings a year (the lease's duration was 800 years from 21st December 1726), though 15 square yards doesn't seem to be very useful!  A William Vickers was leasing an 802 square yard plot in The Brocco at a rent of £3 6 10d a year (the lease's duration was 800 years from Michaelmas 1786)

For interest the 1787 plan here: Picturesheffield 1787 plan shows William Vickers 802 yard plot at top left, corner of Allen street. The 1787 Gales and Martins directory shows a William Vickers, scissorsmith at Sims croft, and the 1797 Robinsons directory shows him at 22 Allen street. Possibly he was the William Vickers, son of James, apprenticed to scissormaker Thomas Matthews, freedom taken in 1766.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Edmund!

On this map from 1783, in the adjacent Garden Street, James Vickers has 416 sq yards opposite what I believe is the Sunday School he helped establish (now flats in the St. Luke's School building), later known as Britannia Place. I haven't seen any of James Vickers' descendants called William, so its possible this is a different person. I believe the land/premises on Garden Street was leased from the Duke of Norfolk.

Is there likely to be any records which show what these "leasehold estates" were? I note that Sheffield Archives has a file on the Hollis Trust, which lead me to an 1854 map showing Ebenezer Stacey (James Vickers' grandson and business successor) leased 200 sq yards at a cost of 7s 6d which looks to be located directly behind the premises on Garden Street.

Have you seen James' actual will (not the death duties summary posted on another thread)?  He may have written details of the actual sites that he was leasing.  The Borthwick Institute can supply copies (£13.50 for the original probate, £7.50 for the registered probate), you need to quote volume 153 folio 187.

Borthwick Order Form

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Have you seen James' actual will (not the death duties summary posted on another thread)?  He may have written details of the actual sites that he was leasing.  The Borthwick Institute can supply copies (£13.50 for the original probate, £7.50 for the registered probate), you need to quote volume 153 folio 187.

Borthwick Order Form

Only the abstract which was posted here.

What's the difference between the original and registered probate? (couldn't find anything definitive online). Also, I searched the Borthwick Archives and couldn't find the entry for James Vickers - for future reference how would I do this? THANK YOU!

The original would be in his own handwriting or dictated to a solicitor and signed.  The registered copy was usually transcribed by a clerk.  So the registered copy should have the same information (and be easier to read), but it's nice to have the original with at least the testator's signature if not in their own handwriting.

The easiest way to find the reference number for the will is via FindMyPast (see screenprints below), as looking up the references in the National Archives is difficult. The Death Duty Registers are held by the National Archives, but the Probate records are at Borthwick.

Probatequery.thumb.png.37a46a9b9390d66630917fc14ac9887b.png

However looking closely at the original the folio number appears to be 150 rather than the 153 that their transcriber has entered.  Maybe a note about this would be prudent on any application to the Borthwick Institute.

For future reference, from his will dated 23rd December 1808, James Vickers was leasing from the Hollis Trustees was "two upper houses now in the occupation of John Butcher and Joseph Green with the two shops thereunto belonging which I now use for the making of blades" and "three houses occupied by John Howell(?), Matthew Addey and Jane Draper and the warehouse now occupied by my as a Cutlers Warehouse". The ground rent for each was 15 shillings, payable half-yearly as 7 shillings 6 pence.