Gill, Herbert & Co and Attwood Brother's Cutlery

Kalfred

Hello I was very recently viewing an auction and while checking the contents of some "mixed lot" carboard boxes I saw one of those "regulation" oblong thin cardboard boxes that a "half a dozen" set of cutlery items used to be sold in. It was opened out and had 6 table knives in. The blades said Sheffield, but the makers name was unfamiliar to me. Camera out and click click photos. The carboard knife box lid was underneath and it had labelling on. Click click more photos. No bids left but lots of photos for research when I got home, Sheffield knives item top of the list though. I did a little checking and have a composite image to post here and ask a few questions.

AttwoodBrosGillHerbertGilebertKnives2.jpg.faa4252b05a4d1ae9428c8842d649277.jpg

The trade mark on the knife blade is "Gilebert" and the hyper observant Forum members will all have immediately noted that this is an amalgam of the apparent manufacturers names "Gill" and "Herbert" of "Gill, Herbert Co". I use "apparent" as looking at "Hawley's", "Name on a Knife Blade" site it says "Gill, Herbert Co Ltd" were "registered in 1920 at 13 Arundel Lane,....directors were Percy Turner..... and Francis Botham,".
The Knife box shown to the left side of my composite image was actually copied from the Hawley site and it has Arundel Lane as the address and has the name "Gill, Herbert Co ", same as on the knife blade. Compare it to the box to the right. This was the box at the auction. The manufacturers name on this box is "Attwood Bros" with a trade mark "Atbro" and the address is Wheeldon Street, Sheffield. Are the knives in the wrong box? I will quote again from "Hawley's", web site. "Gill, Herbert & Co struggled. In about 1927, it relocated to Wheeldon Street." "...the Wheeldon Street operation soon folded. In 1932, the partners sold up." Is this where "Attwood Bros" came in, when Gill, Herbert & Co closed? Who were Attwood Brothers? Were they a development from the below name.

ATTWOOD, Charles William (~, Cutlery Manufacturer).
                                                              Recorded in Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly's Directory in 1925. 
                                                                                  Address: h. 360 Windmill Lane, Shiregreen, 

Can we sort all this out?

Kalfred