Long Henry Street

Hutton

Good Evening all ( sounds like Dixon of Dock Green)

I am new to this so please bear with me. I am researching my family history and I would like to know the (former) location of Long Henry Street.

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi Tozzin

Thanks for your reply. Is Henry Street in the Netherthorpe area?

Would you know of any old street maps with Long Henry Street and Colliers Row on them? or any old photos ?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Hutton said:

Hi Tozzin

Thanks for your reply. Is Henry Street in the Netherthorpe area?

Would you know of any old street maps with Long Henry Street and Colliers Row on them? or any old photos ?

Thanks

Long Henry Street was in the Park district , it’s named lived on in the supposedly iconic Park Hill Flats.

here’s a few photos of Long Henry Street, some just before demolition,the photo that shows the Gilmour beer sign is the Red Lion, the building is still there but I’m unsure if it’s still a pub.

18F0164F-00C0-43B0-A964-7C786BDD5A6A.jpeg

6AC325EA-6743-4152-8544-670F7C685F85.jpeg

DBA7EB93-00DF-461A-B119-AB1C32F34A72.jpeg

32881132-0F3C-4D77-A57E-408568C64B69.jpeg

1EE24300-DC54-4B16-9179-FBC61C35487E.jpeg

Wow!!!! Thats fantastic . Thank you very much. I suspected it might be around there but Google is showing me Shalesmoor area.

My 2x great grandad was a miner and his father a sicklemaker.

I`m looking for a Willoughby Hutton and his wife Alice. On the wedding certificate for 1874 it states their address as 44 Long Henry Street.

It just states the Parish Church in Sheffield.

Also his son Henry Hutton married Annie Elizabeth Sylvesterv at St. Johns Church Sheffield in 1897 and they lived at 6 Long Steps

5 minutes ago, Hutton said:

I`m looking for a Willoughby Hutton and his wife Alice. On the wedding certificate for 1874 it states their address as 44 Long Henry Street.

It just states the Parish Church in Sheffield.

Also his son Henry Hutton married Annie Elizabeth Sylvesterv at St. Johns Church Sheffield in 1897 and they lived at 6 Long Steps

St Johns church is still standing, the horrible flats have been demolished thank god, St Johns can be seen in the centre of photo. I’ll look into the names you’ve supplied.

2DA53647-2F2B-4930-ABA4-633025C9A5ED.jpeg

They all moved between Mosborough and Unstone just across the border in North East Derbyshire. I know the Parish bounderies changed a lot around that time and the Colliers moved to find work.

I never expected such a response so thanks again.

Sadly I cant find any record of Willoughby or his wife Alice or his son Henry and his wife Annie, there's no mention of them living on Long Henry Street but that could mean that they were just lodging at No 44, the house number 44 only appears after the the 1800s , (1900) in 1905 and 1911 a labourer by the name of William Rose was living at No 44, there seemed to be courts from No 1 to No 6 but cant see a No 5, usually the residents are not listed. As you say the family moved to Mosborough sadly I dont have directories for there. Sorry I wasn't much help.

No problem as you havebeen a huge help.

I have 2 problems to solve

Henry Hutton`s wife Annie Elizabeth Silvester (Sylvester) father on the wedding certificate was Edward (deceased) occupation Silvrsmith. apart from that information I can`t find either a birth or death certificate for herin Sheffield or Derbyshire?

Henrys father Willoughbuy was born in Mosborough on 9/10/1859 his Wedding Banns were read in Dronfield in April 1874 but there is no record of a wedding in either Sheffield or Derbyshire. Him and hs wife are on future Censes as being married.

So I will have to keep searching.

Thanks for your help

Regards Phil

Beware, there are a couple of Willoughbys - Henry's father baptised 12th August 1855 at Eckington, the son of William and Mary, also another who was baptised 13th October 1859 at Eckington, the son of Denis and Caroline.  The younger one was  too young to marry in 1874, he was at home, unmarried, with Denis and Caroline in 1881.

Willoughby and Alice married at Dronfield on 19th April 1874 (see marriage details and banns below).  Does their marriage certificate give a later date at Sheffield?

WHuttonmarriage1874.png.a69d438cbfa15cf660a35b1f38710057.png

Thanks Edmund

I have been in touch with the Derbyshire Registry Office and they have no record of a wedding for Willoughby and Alice in Derbyshire even though their Banns were read in Dronfield . They could only find one similar wedding and that was of a William Hutton to Alice Wright on 16/11/1874 I ordered a copy of this which gave them at 44 Long Henry Street. On closer inspection Willams father is also called Willam wheras Willoughbys father was called Dennis. Hence the dead end. So all is not a it appears to be.

Thanks again

Phil