Jays furnisher’s Moorhead

tozzin

I need to find out the ownership of Jays Furniture store that used to be at Moorhead. I read that it was part of the Hyman furniture empire but I can't find the source now.

I remember the Hymans used to live on Chippinghouse Road, the daughter Malka, known to family as Queenie, married Harry Epstein from Liverpool and they had a son, Brian, who went on to be the Beatles manager. 

I can't find any connection between Jays and Hymans. Jays Furnishing Stores started in the 1880s and was one of six companies (operating 150 retail premises) included in a holding company formed in 1937 : Jays & Campbells (Holdings) Limited.   In 1943 that group was purchased by Great Universal Stores.

13 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Hays Furnishing Stores, house furnishers. 

s18114.jpg.cf969e04a29ddb7144876229c0fd5df8.jpg

s18114  Moorhead looking towards Cambridge Street. 

I already have this photo, I remember Jays well, my mother was a customer of theirs.

Far as I know, they weren't connected.  My mum worked for Hymans for a long time, in their accounts office, and I never heard Jays mentioned once.  I know many - or most - furniture stores in Sheffield were owned by Jewish families, but that's the only connection I can think of.

On 16/02/2023 at 20:54, Edmund said:

I can't find any connection between Jays and Hymans. Jays Furnishing Stores started in the 1880s and was one of six companies (operating 150 retail premises) included in a holding company formed in 1937 : Jays & Campbells (Holdings) Limited.   In 1943 that group was purchased by Great Universal Stores.

Great Universal Stores absorbed the business of J G Graves after his death in 1945, is there a connection there?

This Picture Sheffield photograph of Jay's Store taken in 1952 shows how intrusive signage can effect the look of a fine building!

Screenshot_2023-02-19-12-55-18-998.jpeg

Brilliant. I can put that to rest now. I found the original quote and it's clear that the author simply picked the name of the wrong furniture store and wrote it up without checking. Thanks for everyone’s input.