Sheffield General Cemetery

Ponytail

Sheffield General Cemetery, Charges and Regulations. 

IMG_20230216_011013.jpg.8f9e564a08131b11a86c494a85296366.jpg

From Whites Directory 1852. 

IMG_20230216_011738.jpg.7c69f329d9d16daf4f7fd0fc194f682b.jpg

Engraving of General Cemetery 1840

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a04842&pos=270&action=zoom&id=134670

Plan of enlargement Sheffield General Cemetery and new road leading thereto. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc02030&pos=268&action=zoom&id=115158

u04972.jpg.31d156e53a7137ae68985cbe98db0b8d.jpg

u04972   Engraving by T. Nisbet of the Sheffield New Cemetery Church, (Church of England Mortuary Chapel)  General Cemetery. 1848. 

s02033.jpg.b30222c3c3f2155c157aef7c564cc6a0.jpg

s02033  Sheffield General Cemetery with Non Comformist Chapel in the background. 

s01405.jpg.d3c6e22af778e04d8e7a0c8cc1d26e9f.jpg

s01405  Gatehouse & Non Conformist Chapel, Sheffield General Cemetery by I. Hague (lith) 

I worked in the cemetary in 1964 (i think) i started as a labourer for a building company (Boden developments) they were building a filling station (Mobil )at the top of Cemetary road, near to the path leading down to frog walk. My first job was to demolish the gate structure with a phnumatic hammer it took about a week and i could not hold anything for a while due to the vibration 8 hours a day. I then had to help dig a hole 12 x 12 x 12 ft. by hand for a tank of some sort and we dug through quite a few very old coffins. At that time i was taken one day into the burial area near the chapel and had to dig a grave for a man who was going to be buried with his wife who had been buried the year before. Her remains were visible when i got down to the depth, which was a bit of a shock for me at 17 years old.

I went there with our local camera club a couple of years ago for a walk round, after a recommendation from a friend. It's a beautiful almost woodland cemetery with some stunning grave monuments and statues. It was also very interesting to see some famous names from Sheffield's past buried there. Worth a walk round even if graveyards are not your thing. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 00:46, Michael W said:

My first job was to demolish the gate structure with a phnumatic hammer it took about a week and i could not hold anything for a while due to the vibration 8 hours a day.

I've had the loss of grip thing from using a chainsaw. I was very happy when I discovered there are anti-vibration gloves with gel in the palms. The Silverline ones I use are so snug you can either make use of the dexterity or wear another pair of gloves over them for extra protection. Good for absorbing the shock when using a sledgehammer, maul, axe, or hammer and chisel as well. Haven't had a problem since.

The church has a very rare covered entrance for the funeral  coach carrying the deceased, I just can’t recall the exact term, part of the name is Entrée I’m sure.

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

The church has a very rare covered entrance for the funeral  coach carrying the deceased, I just can’t recall the exact term, part of the name is Entrée I’m sure.

Maybe porte-cochere, literally coach gateway?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edmund said:

Maybe porte-cochere, literally coach gateway?

That’s the correct name Edmund, I haven’t been past the old church for over twelve years now, but when I passed on a daily basis it was in a terrible state of repair.

Sheffield General Cemetery: Revamp of 'heritage treasure' celebrated

By Alex Moss

BBC News

"A multi-million pound revamp of one of the UK's earliest commercial cemeteries is being celebrated with a special gathering at the site.

Opened in 1836, Sheffield General Cemetery features as a listed landscape on the English Heritage National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

A four-year project to restore and safeguard it as a heritage treasure was completed in June.

People involved in the project will come together to celebrate the work" . . . . .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-

Bridge over the Porter Brook, supporting the gatehouse, General Cemetery. t00623.jpg.033bf24a794bb3296e65fc7de1c832e0.jpgt00623

Photographer: Mr E. Guy. 

Bridge over the Porter Brook, supporting the gatehouse, General Cemetery. 

y02265.jpg.b4cec19cf6b59c22c7044172b9445d1c.jpgy02265

For more information see: 'DC2, General Cemetery Bill'. Ref: 718 SF.