Sheffield Council dustbin lorries

History dude

Just enquiring if any has any information on the Council's cleansing services operation on Bernard Road around 1967.  Including the type and make of the refuse lorries used for bin collection in that period. Pictures if possible. 

Hi Everybody,

I worked on the Bins in the late 1960's and our 'Bin Wagon' was a Dennis. The wagon had a 'double trap' at the rear, when it was full it was dumped at a tip on Blackstock Rd or Woodhouse. There was a gang of x6 on each wagon and the Driver was Frank Williams. Frank and his family lived in the Newlands area of Intake. It would be great to see Frank again, he was a wonderful man!

Wazzie Worrall

I have a picture of the Bernard Road site and it has the bin lorries that had the lifts on the back that you put the old round bin on and it took it to the top and emptied it from there. Had they been removed from service by 1967?

Also as I was only seven at the time what was the colour scheme of SCC in 1967?

Sheffield Corporation had several colour schemes for the various parts of the authority….City Engineers, Public Works, Transport, Cleansing, Recreation,Education, Public Health….to name but a few. I seem to remember the refuse lorries being painted green.

There is an old Sheffield story which says that many SCC buildings, parks, schools, the Town Hall etc were all painted green. Consequently many houses were painted the same green, because the paint 'fell off the back of a lorry'!

When I worked on the Bins, there were still rear trap wagons and they were painter Cream - I think?

Wazzie Worrall

Council houses were painted either green or brown with corner houses having a lick of  maroon.

Yes, I now remember some bin lorries being a creamy colour.