Valley Road shops, Meersbrook

rszemeti

I'd love to find a photo of my gran's old shop that was on the corner of Valley Road and Brooklyn Road in Meersbrook.

I can just about remember going in there when I was very young, which must have been around 1965 ish and I have a vague memory of my gran behind the counter, butsadly, no photo's of it remain from that time that I have found.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3554031,-1.4710375,3a,75y,2.07h,81.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ-CYT9-Z1eC5jBfV-xHXWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It used to be a thriving little collection of shops, there was Flint's chippy and wet fish shop, Blakely's sweet shop the CoOp opposite and Harrap's news agent on the other corner, I remember another general store and chemists there as well, with an "Esso Blue" paraffin pump outside.

It seems to be a forgotten little corner of Sheffield, very little of that bustling little community remains sadly.

Any photos or old postcards woudl be amazing!

image.png.9165877de8aacd4c508c476af450b92f.png

Ah nice, I think that is the "other" corner and what was Ponsford's shop.   The shop on the right edge of frame would have been CoOp or Krazy Kuts .... 

If you could get the cameraman to pan left about 90 degrees left 😉

• Like 1

I remember your Gran, or Mrs Wheatcroft as we knew her. The shop opposite with the paraffin machine was Mrs Patrick's. The newsagents was Harrops. I remember old man Harrop diddling everybody when decimal currency came in, 5/- became 60p in his world.

I remember you too, sledging in the park when we were kids.

• Like 1

That's amazing. Yes, my gran ran the shop with her husband Godfrey until he passed away rather younger than hoped. Sadly, I can't really find any photos of her shop when it was running, which is a pity.

You're right, Patrick's was the other shop, thank you for jogging my memory!

I remember countless hours sledging in the park, my brother still lives in the area on the edge of the park, his kid sledges there like we did, when there is snow, which is not often these days!  Would I remember you?

I did find one other good photo in the "Sheffield Photo's" archive ... with my mum outside the greengrocers!

s27629.jpg

Do you remember the cobblers and Blakely's sweet shop? Miss Meesons (there were two of them) wool shop?

As I only lived a couple of doors from you, just around the corner, I have no doubt that you would remember me too. My Gran used to live between your house and your Gran's, until they moved away in 1968.

Yes, I remember Meeson's wool shop and Blakely's.  I can remember Meesons had the yellow cellophane in the window when it was sunny. Old Blakely had a dodgy leg if I remember right.

So much of this stuff gets forgotten, I remember what a busy little crossroads it was and the community around it.  Everything has gone really, even the little row of shops where Albert Road post office was has gone, and the off licence opposite.  Little shops like these were the cornerstone of the community when most people used to walk to the shops, I suppose it's progress, but not for the better.

• Like 1

I remember the cobbler's shop but, I can't recall his name? I used to buy my roller skates from him late 1950's, something like 4/11d a pair.

Does anyone recall the name of the liittle road at the bottom of Brooklyn called Tottemire I think?

Regards,

Duffems

57 minutes ago, Duffems said:

I remember the cobbler's shop but, I can't recall his name? I used to buy my roller skates from him late 1950's, something like 4/11d a pair.

Does anyone recall the name of the liittle road at the bottom of Brooklyn called Tottemire I think?

Regards,

Duffems

Circa 1951

?

brook_1951.jpg