Plumpers & Albert

huthwaite

Can someone (I'm guessing Richard B!) give me some information about two pubs, I believe they were situated opposite each other on Sutherland Street near Firth Browns, I remember going in the Albert many years ago, it was a typical steel workers pub with two rooms one of which had a pool table, they both disappeared about the time of the development of the new Twelve O'clock court??

Can someone (I'm guessing Richard B!) give me some information about two pubs, I believe they were situated opposite each other on Sutherland Street near Firth Browns, I remember going in the Albert many years ago, it was a typical steel workers pub with two rooms one of which had a pool table, they both disappeared about the time of the development of the new Twelve O'clock court??

Plumpers...

Wm HAZLEHURST Vict, Plumpers Inn 49 Duke St, Park White's 1911

Thomas SYKES Plumpers' beer house 3 Trippet Lane White's 1833

Henry PETTIT Vict. Plumpers' Inn 63 Duke Street, Park White's 1852

John Henry MEADES Vict. Plumpers' Hotel Sheffield Road,Tinsley White's 1919

William HAZLEHURST Vict. Plumpers Inn 49 Duke Street, Park White's 1919

Charles Isaac NEEDHAM Plumpers' Hotel Sheffield Road, Tinsley Kelly's 1925

Joseph BARRETT Plumpers Inn 49 Duke Street Kelly's 1893

John Henry MEADES Vict. Plumpers Inn Tinsley Kelly's 1893

Albert

John MCGARITY Vict. Albert Inn 31 Sutherland Street, Attercliffe Kelly's 1893

John Henry WHITHAM Vict. Albert Inn 31 Sutherland Street, Attercliffe White's 1911

John Henry WHITHAM Vict. Albert Inn 31 Sutherland Street, Attercliffe White's 1919

John Henry WHITHAM Vict. Albert Inn 31 Sutherland Street, Attercliffe Kelly's 1925

Strange lack of detail on the Plumpers :blink:

McGarity detail from 1891 census

James McGarity 24

John McGarity 64

John McGarity 28

Mary McGarity 55

Albert Inn, 31 Sutherland Road

Thanks Richard, the Plumpers I remember was definately bang opposite the Albert, I believe there was also a barbers and a cafe (GG's?) next to it housed in prefab buildings, have been to the one at Tinsley roundabout they used to have some great live bands, the one I am trying to find was a grotty little beerhouse do you think it changed its' name?? :blink:

Hi Richard, Just got home and had a look in Douglas Lambs' 'A Pub On Every Corner' (I'm sure you have a copy) on page 205 the Albert is listed and The Plumpers as being at 36 Sutherland Street (closed 1989) funny why no mention of it in Census's :huh:

Hi Richard, Just got home and had a look in Douglas Lambs' 'A Pub On Every Corner' (I'm sure you have a copy) on page 205 the Albert is listed and The Plumpers as being at 36 Sutherland Street (closed 1989) funny why no mention of it in Census's :huh:

Shocking admissiom time, especially considering my rabid posting on this thread, I do not own "A Pub on Every Corner" !!! Matter of fact I've never even seen a copy !!! :( <Richard slinks away shame-faced and hides>

Will I be allowed to copy piccies and post them here or will it be a breach of copyright or something??

That's one for Admin to work out with the author/publisher ... permission like

That's one for Admin to work out with the author/publisher ... permission like

I thought so, I'll leave you to follow that up then lol

............. they both disappeared about the time of the development of the new Twelve O'clock court??

Would Twelve O'Clock Court (which I've never heard of) be harking back to this place ?

Twelve O'Clock Jph Ellison Saville Street (1849)

Would Twelve O'Clock Court (which I've never heard of) be harking back to this place ?

Twelve O'Clock Jph Ellison Saville Street (1849)

Yep it was a pub called The Twelve O'clock Inn no 1 Attercliffe Road open 1825 have seen a photo somewhere, will have a hunt!!

The sign of this pub was a large clock face, the fingers indicating midday or midnight, there used to be a toll bar in front of the pub called (not surprisingly) The Twelve O'Clock Toll Bar. This was abolished in 1866 many of the landlords whose pubs were situated near these tolls were also listed as being collectors, I assume this meant that they collected the tolls as well? The site of this pub was commemorated by large pedestal clock which disappeared with the redevelopment in the late 90's.

As an aside, apparently the house of commons always used to meet at 12 0'clock and it became common practice for local meetings in towns and villages to do the same, maybe there was a meeting place here, it is not far away from the Wicker which was previously known as sembley green way back so maybe a link there.

Off to my local now! as they say around here: " If tha dunt use it tha loses it!" as has happened to too many Sheffield pubs eh!

Ernest J Harris and Nellie Harris, my great grandparents listed as Licensee of Plumpers 1939 Census. They then moved on to the Stag Inn, Wickersley, Rotherham.  Although I am struggling to find whether they were Licensee at the Stag or employees. 

Screenshot_20240413_112537_Chrome.jpg

Charles Isaac Needham handed the Plumpers Hotel over to Henry Barber, who was previously at the Station Inn, Wicker, in September 1933. Barber was only at the Plumpers briefly as in January 1936 he took on the Barleycorn on Cambridge street.

In September 1935 Ernest Joseph Harris, licensee of the Plumpers, had a charge of allowing gambling dismissed by the magistrates. Ernest had married Nellie Hough in 1908, and they had children Kathleen (1909), Dorothy (1911), Fred (1913), Ernest J (1916). When war was declared in 1939, Fred Harris (previously a "Telegraph and Independent' journalist) was serving on board a merchantship, returning from Persia, his home address was the Plumpers.

The other Plumpers discussed in the title of this thread was on Greystock street - in July 1935 it changed landlord from H.W. Rose (deceased) to Lilian Rose.

Thanks

I won't mention the gambling bit to Mum.  The Fred Harris bit is confusing because I've never heard of a Fred but Mum did have an Uncle John Harris  (born Ernest Jack Harris)  who worked for the Telegraph and went to sea.  He wrote books about it.