Barrel Inn: Dam Flask

southside

Be aware that the name of the village was Damflask. The name has originally nothing to do with dams/reservoirs etc although the present reservoir takes its name from the ruined village now lying beneath it.

Sheffield Flood Claim,

Is this the same Barrel Inn Ibbotson was landlord of? 

Claimant, George Eadon, Auctioneer, Old Haymarket. 

https://sheffieldfloodclaimsarchive.shu.ac.uk/claimSummary.cfm?claim=7-5914

Ibbotson certainly knew how to get maximum compensation.

Note 3 pairs of New shoes!

Quite a few hats.. Ibbotsons liked their headgear. 

In the attic. Two setts of bed socks? probably not what we term as bedsocks. 

Overall I'm sure there was a lot of Claims for things that probably no-one could prove they'd lost. 

Valuers must have been very busy. 

I would say that it's the same Barrel Inn Ponytail.  Pub tenant Johnathan Ibbotson only put in a claim for personal losses, who was this guy George Eaden? owner of three farms a pub and load's of land. https://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDetails.cfm?claim=11-5914

My 3xGrandfather Robert Wilson a neighbour of the Ibbotsons made a claim for flood damage and received £24.

Johnathan Ibbotsons wife Mary was present at the death of my 3xGrandmother Ann Wilson in1847, she was also the informant on her death certificate.

Thanks for putting things to right Snozzle,  predictive text has got a lot to answer for!!

1851 Census

Screenshot_2023-01-16-19-36-54-497.jpeg

George Eadon was an Auctioneer of Old Haymarket, Sheffield. Could have acquired land and property with  insider knowledge... but I may be wrong, may have inherited the properties. Perhaps someone could do an investigation into his background. 

The Flood Claims are an eye opener as to who owned the land & properties. Sometimes it's easy to find, but often have to try various routes: name of building/Works, road or even area and trawl through a long list. 

When a land/property owner makes the claim the house etc is very often identified by the person paying the rent. 

If the person you're interested in only lists personal contents of the property then its safe to assume there is another claim for the building. 

Duke of Norfolk etc. as you'd imagine has many claims. Sometimes it helps to put in their name not their title. Typing "Duke of Norfolk" does bring up entries. Just checked. 

The roads and bridges etc. could be listed under the Turnpike Trustees, Contractor or Land owner. 

Employees claims could be under their own claim or their employers.