General query re genealogy

Hopskotch

I wonder if anyone could give me a few pointers.

If i wanted to find out what happened to a man born in 1812 in Sheffield, given that i am unable to establish his death before marriage age, how would i find out who he married? 

If i check the 1841 or 1851 census say, it would be guesswork as to who he married. 

Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi Hopscotch.   Have you searched for his marriage on the Family Search website? If not login here  https://www.familysearch.org/search/   and create yourself a free account, lots of transcribed records free to view, if you want to see a scan of the original record it forwards you to the Find My Past website (where of course you will have to pay to view the record) 

On 11/01/2023 at 18:28, Hopskotch said:

I wonder if anyone could give me a few pointers.

If i wanted to find out what happened to a man born in 1812 in Sheffield, given that i am unable to establish his death before marriage age, how would i find out who he married? 

If i check the 1841 or 1851 census say, it would be guesswork as to who he married. 

Any help would be gratefully received.

Did he have children, you could look his children up on the G.R.O. to see the mothers name from 1837.

The GRO  marriage records onLY started  September 1837 so If he married before that the GRO will not cover his marriage  & you will need to access parish records. If its after that try Freebmd  www.freebmd.org.uk  to search for a marriage for him from Sep  1837 onwards.

You could also look on the Sheffield Indexers site to see if his marriage  has been transcribed. It's a free site and full of information.