J.S. & T. Birks, Tea, Coffee and Grocery Establishment

Ponytail

J. S. & T. Birks, Tea, Coffee and Grocery Establishment, 69 Market Place. 

Illustrated Guide to Sheffield, Pawson and Brailsford, first published 1862

Article from the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 22nd December 1860

IMG_20221229_141828.thumb.jpg.ae538c3e36f02cfd1e50786071d7d188.jpg

IMG_20221229_142438.thumb.jpg.43954d553cf0dbd66e0dee46e5fc5a14.jpg

Notice the sign for Watson's Walk in the first engraving. 

Notes    
Jewish Flag hanging from H.L. Brown's.

- from the write up below it on the Picture Sheffield site.

I think it is actually from Birks.   There is a Union Flag in the canton (upper hoist), and four lines of Hebrew script which I can't read.

3 minutes ago, MartinR said:

- from the write up below it on the Picture Sheffield site.

I think it is actually from Birks.   There is a Union Flag in the canton (upper hoist), and four lines of Hebrew script which I can't read.

Definitely from Birks. If it's Hebrew script, that's probably why I can't make it out. 😂🤣 Wonder if they had Jewish connections. 

Two photographs of not good quality dated 7th July 1893 with flags flying. .. Ist one, Birks are in the scene. 2nd one is of Market Place and High Street

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v01647&pos=205&action=zoom&id=42989

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v01672&pos=206&action=zoom&id=43013

The 6th July 1893 Prince George, Duke of York (later George V) and Princess Mary of Teck married Chapel Royal St. James Palace. 

The photograph with a flag flying  on my previous post is probably a later date. 

Whites Directory 1879

Birks, Joseph Swinden (J. S. & T) and sugar refiner (Walker & Co) h. Hanover Villa, Lower Hanover Street. 

Birks, J. S & T wholesale and family grocers, tea dealers, wine, spirit and liqueur merchants and Italian warehousemen 69 Market Place and 33 Wicker. 

Birks, Thomas Rhodes, (J. S. & T) and sugar refiner (Walker & Co) h. Rossleigh, 13 St. Marks Road. 

December 1888 Birks products on offer mentioned in Sanger Circus article 

https://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2016/12/sangers-circus-in-sheffield.html

Whites Directory 1862

Birks, Joseph S & Thomas, grocers & tea dealers, 69 Market Place. 

Birks, Jph Swinden, tea dealer & etc., (Birks, Jph. S & Thos.) h. 9 Upper Hanover Street. 

Birks, Thomas, tea dealer & etc. (Birks, Jph. S & Thos.) h. 113 Norfolk Street. 

Whites Directory 1856

Birks, Joseph Swinden and Thomas, tea, coffee and spice dealers, 69 Market Place. 

Birks, Joseph Swinden, grocer, h. 113 Norfolk Street. 

London Gazette 27th June 1865

Henry Ducker, grocer. 

IMG_20230219_174516.png.418c3075c7bce0a8c3b27b4c6370a99a.png

Only listing in 1862 Directory

Ducker, Henry, table knife manufacturer and shopkeeper  55 Pea Croft. 

Not on The Hawley Collections List

Also in London Gazette June 28th 1881. for some reason I was unable to download (my shortcomings with the technology

(Extract) In the County Court of Sheffield. Winding up of the Malin Bridge Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. 22nd June 1881 presented by Joseph Swinden Birks and Thomas Rhodes Birks of Sheffield in the County of York, Wholesale Grocers creditors of the said Society to be heard 6th July 1881. 

Local Studies, Sheffield Telegraph Obituary Index. 

Birks, Joseph Swinden, partner in JS & TR Birks, wine & grocery firm. 14th November 1909. 

Found on Free Bmd:

Thomas Rhodes Birks 4th Q 1902 Knaresbro'.