Corker Bottoms Lane and Manor Lane 1935

History dude

Hia History dude. Good photo!

It may be of interest to you, that Street Heritage Research Group did an Archaeological Survey                                               on Sunday 20th November at Corker Bottom, searching for Sheffield's 18th Century Railway.

If you want more info, go to  - Friends of Sheffield's 18th Century Railway - there site has a lot of info.

Regards Heartshome

I remember seeing an actual photo of the trackway in the Manor Fields. It was taken by Harry Cowlishaw and was part of an extensive collection he took of the area using a box brownie camera. Unfortunately after he died the family might have destroyed the collection by just clearing out the house. Though I don't actually know what happened to the vast collection he had for certain. While he was living some of the pictures were copied. And some appear in the Manor Memories booklets that I was apart of the group. And he related some of his memories also. There are some Picture Sheffield. Mostly relating to the Manor Lodge site.

In case anyone was wondering Corker Bottoms comes from the fields that Edmund Corker owned in 1685. All the land around the lane running down to the stream at the bottom. There was a bridge called the "Lords Bridge".

The use of "bottom" to indicate a valley is widespread.  At the risk of getting OT, there is a village in SE London called "Pratt's Bottom" (after the Pratt family), which causes quite a few sniggers.