Cholera 1832

Ponytail

Cholera 1832

The Sheffield Mercury 26th June 1832

Reporting there was reason to fear a spasmodic case of Cholera had occurred. A person named Foster who arrived from Thorne a few days before, died with the symptoms of the Asiatic Cholera. Every possible precaution  was to be taken, some other out of town public burial ground be provided for any victims, where they were not likely to be disturbed. 

The causes of Cholera were announced. It attacks chiefly the dirty, the idle the drunken and the disorderly.  Those wishing to escape Cholera should be sober, industrious, steady, keep themselves and their houses clean.

At Public expense a Cholera House of Recovery and conveyance to, was to be provided. No one would be forced to go but people would be made aware of the advantages. 

IMG_20221128_155622.thumb.jpg.66b8ec6b2b0c104d5db3df3962afe278.jpg

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

Maybe you can read it slightly better.

928BA7E5-0D1C-45EF-B00F-7D6D7C77EC12.jpeg

Thank you very much Tozzin, very much appreciated. It was faded and very difficult to read when I first viewed it on the microfilm reader 30 years ago. Photocopy wasn't much better. Only have my phone to photograph it, improved on it! Not enough! 😂🤣 Must get to grips with the phone tech. Tozzin do you realise it's the first time I've been able to read it properly. 😂😂🤣🤣 Thanks again. 

57 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Thank you very much Tozzin, very much appreciated. It was faded and very difficult to read when I first viewed it on the microfilm reader 30 years ago. Photocopy wasn't much better. Only have my phone to photograph it, improved on it! Not enough! 😂🤣 Must get to grips with the phone tech. Tozzin do you realise it's the first time I've been able to read it properly. 😂😂🤣🤣 Thanks again. 

You're quite welcome Ponytail.

It attacks chiefly the dirty, the idle the drunken and the disorderly. 

Says a lot about the Master Cutler who died of it then!