Grimesthorpe and Brightside Bierlow Association

Ponytail

13 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Grimesthorpe and Brightside Bierlow Association Est. 31st August 1829

Newspaper Advert  Sheffield Mercury 13th August 1831

IMG_20221126_144256.thumb.jpg.6bd4fca8883665b4d57e388e826fb2e5.jpg

Can't remember how long solicitor Thomas Badger acted for the Association but any dealings he had were recorded in his "Bill Books" which are stored at Rotherham Archives. There are many volumes from the family firm of solicitors, discovered when Parker Rhodes Solicitors had a clear out of their basement and donated the very dusty tomes. The Badger family had offices in both Rotherham and Sheffield, every Client (personal or business) has details of letters with the charge, his conversation with the client or his "rode over to" wherever, are recorded in these books. Each volume is indexed with clients names at the front. As a volunteer I spent a few years indexing everything (names, wills, conveyancing, Court of Kings and later Queens Bench, bankruptcy, domestic problems and business dealings) these thick volumes (think I got as far as double figures into the volumes of 3 to 400 of pages per volume) onto a dynex data base in the library unfortunately when the library system was updated the Bill Books and Estate Agent Merryweather and Corbett records indexed by another volunteer don't appear to have made it onto the new system. I grew very fond of Thomas Badger (a distant family member), the phrase he used, "Not worth the powder and shot" when he didn't think something was worth persuing and his efforts made in proving a will, riding over to each church to "peruse" the registers, no doubt with candle at his side, then his interrogation of older inhabitants if nothing was found.

To give an example of the dealings with an "Association" here are photographs of print outs of the Rotherham Association. 

Example from 1838

IMG_20221127_083702.thumb.jpg.4115881fcc759f1497735db5e4305d58.jpg

Example from 1841

IMG_20221127_090511.thumb.jpg.f65fa4b66f08a74e040f9cf869935af4.jpg

Thomas Badger (1783-1862) 1810 articled to Joseph Wheatley, admitted solicitor "the year of Waterloo" 1815; set up in practice on his own 1819.

I did get a "proper job" after spending years doing this vountarily so my efforts weren't entirely in vain. 😂🤣