Sheffield Penknives

Ponytail

In 1953 ,as a commemoration of the Coronation of QE11 ,the City presented school girls with a pair of small scissors, whilst we lads received a pen knife! The knife had a cheap , brittle plastic handle which easily broke. Mine lasted a few hours. I wonder ,if there are any examples left? 

In the early 80s I was privilidged to meet the last hand pen knife manufacturer 'and a Little Mester' in the city He was packing in and I was able to buy for a pub that I was a involved developing lots of the pieces from his factory for display and atmospheric purposes We also had lots of photos taken of him working which were akll used in the pub. Even a small forge or something similar was purchased and 3 legged stools. Unfortunately I have forgotten his name but he made me a pen knife that I greatly treasured only to have sadly lost it years later when stolen from my home. All the bits of the various parts of the knives were all wrapped in paper bundles Blanks torteshell all sorts of finishing materials It was all very sad really the end of an era.

The pub was the Jolly Buffer now also long gone. I hope some of this history found a home some where where more appreciated

• Like 1