Vehicle Registration Years

Ponytail

My thoughts on the change from January to August registration is that  the weather would be better in the summer, the days would be longer and it would be easier to have test drives in well-lit conditions. Remember that a test drive is not just for the driver, but those who can look up and see the brand new model (I want one!).

I recall that Sheffield registrations pre 63 included ET?  The Lord Mayor's car was ET1 which became famous when the film ET came out.

Samuel Fox had a fleet of cars registered FOX 1, FOX 2 ...., I understood they bought up the cars that bore those plates.

I think the March/September regs were the peak buying months, the idea of the motor trade for valuation purposes.

Q plates were also applied to cars imported by people working overseas for the military/diplomat services.  Apparently, you could buy a UK spec car through the NAAFI, duty free!

I thought the  pre 1963 registration letters ET indicated that of Rotherham? From memory Sheffield’s were ….W, WA,WB, WE and WJ.

28 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I thought the  pre 1963 registration letters ET indicated that of Rotherham? From memory Sheffield’s were ….W, WA,WB, WE and WJ.

Part one looks right.

Part two, I think you've missed out WD (WC was Essex from what I recall)

My Grandad had a car registration in the very early 1950's CET 413. All of his post WWI motorbike registrations started with one W eg. 1920's W5497. Not sure pre WWI.

Dad had a secondhand Austin A40 in the late 1950's (after 1958) GWF 757

Does anybody know when the numbers and letters changed round and the year there was more than one letter?