A Short Historical Tour of Crookes Valley Park & Weston Park

Ponytail

A Short Historical Tour of Crookes Valley Park and Weston Park. Produced by The Friends of Crookes Valley & Weston Parks. Text by Judy Hague. 

Probably dates back to mid 2000's.

IMG_20221120_085521.thumb.jpg.12fbdc8ab3147c57344eb92df9a65f6c.jpg

IMG_20221120_090126.thumb.jpg.9fa8fc54dac7586aa77a53f36eedb56f.jpg

• Like 1

The document states that Weston Park was opened in 1875?

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 15-29-14 IMG_20221120_090126.jpg.3ae1d2d81bff132a9f511d2fc792cb3b.jpg (JPEG Image 1823 × 2651 pixels).png

Newspapers say it was publicly opened on Monday May 4th 1874.

weston park_may 1874.jpg

Thanks SteveHB it made me smile, when is a public opening not a public  opening?

Reading about the first opening it apparently and I quote, "Was not a brilliant affair." Having the dignitaries in the horse drawn carriages from the Town Hall, speeches about it being free for the people but reminding them they will in effect be paying for it (rates) afterwards the dignitaries dined at the King's Head, of course at Council expense.

It appears there was a lot of work still to do in the Park and alterations to the House for the Museum.

The 2nd "opening" it appears the gates were opened and they didn't have any display or ceremony because the Council thought the resulting crowds gathering in one place may "result not only in confusion but in damage to some of the specimens in the Museum."

At least the Park and Museum was complete this time. Again public reminded it's free but you're paying for it. Thankfully another "opening dinner" wasn't reported on; perhaps they didn't see the need.... or did they? 

Makes you wonder why it was necessary to have 2 "openings" over a year apart. Probably me being cynical, perhaps to do with a possible upcoming change of Mayor and Council members. 

Was still a lovely park but needing a bit of TLC the last time I visited but it was some years ago. 

The fountain was presented by John Tasker of Angel street, the architect being Edward Gibbs.

The drinking fountain was moved to Weston Park from the Wicker, near the old Midland  Station. It had originally been presented to the city at a cost of over £200 in 1860 by Mr. Joseph Henry Sales (coal merchant), but had fallen into disuse in its old position. Its architect was John Frith of Bank street, and it was constructed by Alderman Thomas Mycock, builder, Barkers Pool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

The fountain was presented by John Tasker of Angel street, the architect being Edward Gibbs.

The drinking fountain was moved to Weston Park from the Wicker, near the old Midland  Station. It had originally been presented to the city at a cost of over £200 in 1860 by Mr. Joseph Henry Sales (coal merchant), but had fallen into disuse in its old position. Its architect was John Frith of Bank street, and it was constructed by Alderman Thomas Mycock, builder, Barkers Pool.

Does anybody know what happened to the Drinking Fountain or when it was removed from Weston Park? 

22 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Does anybody know what happened to the Drinking Fountain or when it was removed from Weston Park? 

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was stolen, could be wrong though

Edit: disappeared.

https://crookesmoorparks.wordpress.com/about-the-parks/weston-park/

"Near the top gates (about where the helicopter pad is) there stood a magnificent iron fountain with 4 basins probably made at Coalbrookdale. It disappeared some time in the late 1930’s."

13 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was stolen, could be wrong though

Rather a large item to pinch. Like a lot of statues, monuments etc. probably moved to "storage" as someone had a bright idea for change. 

2 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Rather a large item to pinch. Like a lot of statues, monuments etc. probably moved to "storage" as someone had a bright idea for change. 

I did an edit, see above

Statue of poet Ebenezer Elliott (1781-1849) originally stood in Market Place (High Street) and removed to Weston Park in 1875.

y01480.jpg.43b9564ece4d0a669e2e145d950a83f4.jpgy01480

Ebenezer Elliott, the Corn Law Rhymer born 17 March 1781 Masbrough; married Penistone 10 April 1806; died 1st December 1849 and buried Darfield Churchyard, near Barnsley.

For more information about Ebenezer Elliott, see: Ebenezer Elliott Corn Law Rhymer and Poet of the Poor, by Keith Morris and Ray Hearne. 

• Thanks 1