Born in the Tower of London

BMJ214

I’m in the process of researching my family tree.

My Nans mother Norah Lingard Nee McBurnie has the Tower of London listed as her address at birth (1891).

She was Married (April 1914) and Died (Oct 1926) in Sheffield.

I can’t find anything about her parents. Would this mean her mum was in the prison tower?

Thank you. 

She could have been the daughter of one of the Warders who live at the Tower. They are usually long serving ex-servicemen with excellent military records. There's been a series on Channel 5 about the Tower of London and the work of the Warders (Beefeaters) 

Norah's father is stated to be a locomotive fitter when she married, so unlikely to be working in that capacity at the Tower, though he could have been in the army.  What records gave the Tower as her place of birth, are her parents and their occupations named on it?

1757295370_NoraMcBurniemarriage.png.49cb5ed6bc17b7f039622dde8518560a.png

Wasn't there several trades connected with the Tower of London? Try looking at the 1901 census for the Tower of London. That will give you clues as to who was living there at the time. 

I found this census entry on 'Family Search'.

1911 census,  Sheffield, East Brightside.

John McBurnie, 55yrs, head, Retired Locomotive Engineer, born Doncaster, Misen, Yorks.

Mary Anna McBurnie, wife, 50yrs, born Sheffield, Yorks.

Laura McBurnie, dau, 20yrs, Bottle Washer in Brewery, born Sheffield.

Bertha McBurnie, dau, 18yrs, Spice factory, born Sheffield.

Harry McBernie, son, 14yrs, Driller, born Sheffield.

Frederick McBernie, son, born Sheffield.

Also in the same household is Robert Henry Taylor, his wife Isabella Agnes and child Robert Samuel Taylor.

On FreeeBMD there is a marrialge for a John McBurnie and Mary Hannah Taylor, March quarter 1890.  So, it looks as though Mary Anna/Hannah Taylor was a widow when she married John.

From the 'Sheffield Indexers' site.

Mary Hannah McBurnie (wife of J. McBurnie, aged 55)

Died at 10/1 Clun St, Buried 28 March 1914 at Burngreave Cemetery

John McBurnie (Labourer) aged 74

Died at 12 Herries Rd, Buried 2 November 1929 at Burngreave Cemetery.

Also in the same grave are two Lingard burials and Martha McBurnie dau of Henry, Nora Lingard dau of Thomas.

Also a Charles Spavin.

You can view the above burial entries on the 'Sheffield Indexers' site.  The site is free to use but you have to register

your name (just your Christian name will do).

See this entry in 

1901 Census ROOTS POINT UK

JOHN McBURNIE - of 15 Well Meadow Street - Born 1857 

and family 

If you click the box on the right end of the name line, all the info for family members comes up.

then, click on each one for their details.

Ok Heartshome

On 11/11/2022 at 20:16, BMJ214 said:

My Nans mother Norah Lingard Nee McBurnie has the Tower of London listed as her address at birth (1891).

I can’t find anything about her parents. Would this mean her mum was in the prison tower?

Thank you. 

This is the Census Page that Heartshome found on the 1901 Census, it gives some information that might be useful in your quest to discover more about your nan's parents. 

1901 Census McBurnie.jpg

At the 1891 census there were several people recorded as being at "The Tower of London" who in fact were on boats moored up in the vicinity of the tower eg St. Katherine's Dock.

Here are the Mcburnie family living on Hall Car Street in 1891, their youngest child is Laura age 6 month, the census was taken in April 1891.

John Mcburnie, Engine Fitters Labourer, has given a different place of birth on all the Sheffield census records. John McBurnie was born in Wardleworth Rochdale in 1861, parents James & Margaret McBurnie (both born Scotland)

1891 Census McBurnie.jpg

Hello, my great grandmother was Bertha McBurnie whom sadly died only a month after my grandfather was born. I noticed from this post that her father’s buried in the Burngreave Cemetery and within the same plot/grave are other members of the family but not Bertha. I would love to know where she is. Any suggestions? Thanks 

On 05/05/2023 at 19:25, Edmund said:

Bertha is in grave number 104 section H of Burngreave Cemetery. Details of Bertha and five other Daughtry's in the same grave are here (burial records section):

Sheffield Indexers Burials

Oh wow thank you so so much I will go say hello to her tomorrow. Thank you again. 

2 minutes ago, Jon said:

Oh wow thank you so so much I will go say hello to her tomorrow. Thank you again. 

The link sadly takes me to a trade directory page. 

25 minutes ago, Jon said:

The link sadly takes me to a trade directory page. 

See the screenprint below which shows the link to the burials page:

Indexers.png.d02f4bca4378a559987e3159dc85efa4.png

On 07/05/2023 at 19:24, Edmund said:

See the screenprint below which shows the link to the burials page:

Indexers.png.d02f4bca4378a559987e3159dc85efa4.png

Found her. Thanks again 

90DFF40C-3E62-46C5-9D25-226F1B89F580.jpeg

Thank you. 

I believe your great grandmother is my great grand aunt. 

Thank you. 

So by my reckoning your great great grandfather is John McBurnie the same as me. My great grandmother was Nora’s sister, Bertha.  

On 09/05/2023 at 22:02, Jon said:

So by my reckoning your great great grandfather is John McBurnie the same as me. My great grandmother was Nora’s sister, Bertha.