Bradway Primary School

southside

I was there and left in 1958 when I went to Abbeydale Grammar School. I assume that this was the official opening date in 1961. I remember the Head teacher, Miss Clarke, and also, Mrs. Tuffnell, Mr Stokes, and Miss Costello who are listed and Mrs. Wooffitt and Mr. Hessey who are not, so I assume that they must have moved on by 1961. The school was  a revelation after the forbidding Victorian School Board schools built  in the 1870s, we had a new maisonette on Gervase Avenue, hot water, a bathroom, an inside lavatory, fields to play in. The teachers had to cope with classes of up to 50 pupils and did a good job. Miss Tuffnell was very kind, she must have been in her 60s when I was there, Mr. Stokes used to play cricket with us in the playground at lunch (dinner) time. There was a van Gogh print on one of the staircases which has always stuck in my mind although I didn't like it at the time; my friends included Willie Wise and another boy called Ashton. The Queen Mother came to open the old people's home next door to the school at around this time.

This was the first school I went to from 5 years of age (1956 when the school opened). I left in 1962 and also went to Abbeydale Grammar School. I lived on Lupton Road not far from the school and remember my Dad taking all of us to see the house when only the foundations were laid and it was still a building site. He said "this is going to be our new house". My parents never left that house until they died over 50 years later. My younger brother and sister also went here as well, both also going to the respective boys or girls Abbeydale Grammar School.

I always remembered it as Bradway County School and I'm attaching a copy of the cover of the 1962 School Magazine, which clearly has the initials B C S on the logo. I'm also attaching a photo of the "Foreword" which includes information about some of the staff you mention.

My form teacher in class 3A was Mr. Strange and in 4A it was Mr. Roberts. I also have a photo of c;lass 4A which I will post separately. 

BCS_Magazine_1962.jpg

Epson_img105-Foreword.jpg

Here is the photo of class 4A with Mr. Roberts. As I remember classes were "streamed" in those days, A, B, C, D according to ability, just as the 11+ decided whether you went to a grammar school or the local secondary modern (Jordanthorpe). Looking at the photo now, I never realised at the time how many girls there were in the class. Out of the 38 pupils in the photo, there were 25 girls and only 13 boys!

Bradway County School Photo 1962 Class 4A.jpg