Shiregreen Farming and Forkmaking

Ponytail

On 03/11/2022 at 23:43, Ponytail said:

From Sheffield Spectator April 1971

IMG_20221103_232522.thumb.jpg.77d9607f081e900231ea0235931f2377.jpg

IMG_20221103_233233.thumb.jpg.1cc97b9ceba1a17c97056fdd58b58e9d.jpg

Miss Hemmingfield mentions a forkshop on Pear Tree Lane near the Co-op Cleansing Department, I remember 2 buildings in poor repair used to be Rhodes and Mitchell's premises. Old Mr. Mitchell and his adult son Edwin lived at No.228 Bellhouse Road, I think the Rhodes family lived at No. 230. They weren't forkmakers, don't know if previous occupants were. 

Behind No. 83 Bellhouse Road (See 1954 map SK 3691 NE) was a building housing a forge owned by the Mosforths, whose family had been forkmakers. Mr. Mosforth must have been a similar age to my grandad 70/80. Long past retiring not even sure if he'd worked in the forge but I remember another oldish man lived with them for a while, can't remember his name. 

There was a wide drive to the property, a small yard separated the house and the forge built of stone. Large double doors that concertened and with some effort rolled back, revealing a large space. My family used the premises to garage the car, first my grandad (mum's dad) probably from the 1930/40's then my dad from 1958 to late 1960's.

Inside, the hearth and chimney to the left and a window, (although it was difficult to see out of) at the back. In front of the window was a large bench with tools left in the same position for years gathering dust and grime. There were all sorts of tools, remember a big hammer and bellows. Dad and Grandad before him used to repair the car, mechanically and body work.

Mr Mosforth only charged a peppercorn rent, think he enjoyed the building being used and always enjoyed a chat with grandad and dad sometimes frustration they couldn't get on with the job in hand. Mrs Mosforth used to bring them tea. They would always hear the car coming and going and usually caught dad for a chat. 

It was a fair distance from our house and I was sometimes sent with a message "Tell your dad...." Further up the drive was another "garage" not sure who it belonged to. A greenhouse situated at the start of the garden which was very long and very steep going up  Pismire Hill. I went up there once when Mr. Mosforth asked dad to "Come and look at this," at something he was growing in the garden when you turned round there was a good view. 

After both Mr and Mrs Mosforth died Dad was given immediate notice to vacate the premises and I should imagine the forge was cleaned out. 

Fascinating stuff. I knew Mildred Hemingfield…she was a character. …..a local historian, educator and staunch member of Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church who carried a “ poverty jar” to every Council of Churches meeting she attended asking for “ donations”,
I am related to the Fork making Challoners whose workshop ,in my time ,on Hatfield House Lane had long since been demolished  …...but a few large stone blocks still remained.

8 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Fascinating stuff. I knew Mildred Hemingfield…she was a character. …..a staunch member of Hatfield House Lane Methodist Church who carried a “ poverty jar” to every Council of Churches meeting she attended asking for “ donations,”.

My own past family ,by marriage, (Challoners) had a fork making shop on Hatfield House Lane . In my time it had long since been demolished but a few large stone blocks still remained.

We lived 2 doors away from her on  Oaks Lane until we moved 1954, selling the house to Velma Furniss dance teacher. Think Miss Hemmingfield had been a teacher, remember mum being extra polite when she spoke to her. 😂 We often visited the Richardsons who lived between us. Muriel and Elsie were my godmothers. Do you remember old Mrs Richardson, always ended her sentences with God bless you. When you left you got triple blessings. A lovely lady. 

When we lived there and for a while afterwards the road wasn't fully tarmaced don't think it had been adopted by the council. 

My great aunt Lizzie lived in one of those small houses set at an angle at Bellhouse Road end. Think they were only I bedroomed. 

Seem to remember the Challoners lived in the "big house" on the opposite side. 😁 Mum used to chat to an oldish man at the garden wall, or is my memory playing tricks. 

I knew of Velma but don’t remember the Richardsons.The man was probably Hedley Challoner ….my Aunt Winnie’s brother.

Its amazing to realise how most of old Shiregreen vanished to make way for Low Shiregreen Council estate….which I once read was , when built, one of the largest in Europe

Mum used to say you had to have family going back generations to be an old Shiregreener. We were classed as incomers mum side of the family moving to Bellhouse Road in the 1920's and dad's to the Flower Estate when it was first built. I suppose it was their way of being unhappy their farmland being turned to housing. They were lovely people though and a lot characters. 😁