Cakey(?) Night

Lemmy117

Listened to a programme on BBC 4Xtra last night about Halloween customs and they mentioned Cakey Night. Apparently it was peculiar to the Sheffield area, happened between Halloween and Bonfire night and involved going to houses in disguise, and begging for food or drink. The house owner would ask questions to try and work out who the person in disguise was, and if they guessed right they got nothing, but if they gave up they could have food or drink. 

I've never heard of this, and the programme didn't give more information, such as how long ago this custom took place, anybody any more information?

Nigel L

43 minutes ago, Lemmy117 said:

Listened to a programme on BBC 4Xtra last night about Halloween customs and they mentioned Cakey Night. Apparently it was peculiar to the Sheffield area, happened between Halloween and Bonfire night and involved going to houses in disguise, and begging for food or drink. The house owner would ask questions to try and work out who the person in disguise was, and if they guessed right they got nothing, but if they gave up they could have food or drink. 

I've never heard of this, and the programme didn't give more information, such as how long ago this custom took place, anybody any more information?

Nigel L

Never heard of Cakey Night. It wasn't until a few years ago I'd heard of Mischief Night, supposedly Nov 4th, seemingly an excuse for anti social behaviour. Can't remember taking part in Trick or Treating for Halloween either, the only activity I took part in was Penny for the Guy and collecting wood for the Bonfire. I'm sure if anybody had come knocking at our door in disguise they wouldn't have got anything but a telling off. 😂🤣

I think this relates to soul mass cakes (or somas cakes). There's a write up on Wikipedia here:  Soul Cakes which says it continued into modern times in Sheffield.

The article below suggests that the tradition was almost forgotten by 1876:

370142052_CakingDay1876.png.6e51dcea947b4c1a8ed67fb9b9b03c9a.png

Never heard of Cakey night..although in the West Riding ,where my cousins lived, they enjoyed Trick or Treat night or as it was sometimes known…Mischief night.

On the Brushes, at best ,we tried to hollow out a Turnip and put a candle inside it….to put in the window….usually, the turnip defeated young hands with a pen knife.!

I'm with the others, never heard of it. It obviously died out a long while ago.

Trick or Treat, yes! we were only allowed to call on people who knew us though, being at night.

Mum would then come and fetch me from my friend's house when we'd finished. 

Hi Everybody,

I'm another person whose never heard of 'Cakey Night'.

However, I do remember Mischief Night (Nov 4) although I think about it more as a West Yorkshire event. My Great Uncle who lived in Consiborough used to say the garden gate would get taken off and Bonfires would get lit on Mischief Night. Also my friend Granville who came from Leeds used to talk about it. I don't think it was a big event in 1950/60's Intake?

Wazzie Worrall

10 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Everybody,

I'm another person whose never heard of 'Cakey Night'.

However, I do remember Mischief Night (Nov 4) although I think about it more as a West Yorkshire event. My Great Uncle who lived in Conisborough used to say the garden gate would get taken off and Bonfires would get lit on Mischief Night. Also my friend Granville who came from Leeds used to talk about it. I don't think it was a big event in 1950/60's Intake?

Wazzie Worrall

Thank you, that might explain it then, the lad I caught one Nov 4th before he had chance to damage my gate must have had his origins in Conisbrough or Leeds 😂🤣🤣he told me it was Mischief Night. Must have told his mates because for years after it was the night to have your doors and windows egged and anything was a target to be vandalised.... Unless of course the wicked witch caught em at it first. 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣