Lyceum Pantomime

Heartshome

Just seen an advert for the 2022-23 JACK and the BEANSTALK Lyceum Pantomime,

how great is that? they are still alive and well and being performed in our theatre! 

I remember 1964/5 going there to see RONNIE HILTON in HUMPTY DUMPTY, and 

to the children's great delight, he sang A Mouse Lived in a Windmill in OLD Amsterdam,

as we knew all the words and sang along. It was great!! - Apparently appearing on that

panto as well was comedian Ted Rogers, though I don't remember him.

( Ronnie Hilton - real name Adrian Hill was born in HULL 1926 )

The Lyceum pantomime was a treat for me, my wife and kids. But my childhood treat was a trip to the threadbare panto at the Attercliffe Palace of Varieties….courtesy of the local WMC.

My route home from King Ted's to Gleadless in the early '60s took me past the Lyceum and I remember looking at the posters for their numerous variety shows. I even met Arthur Haynes one afternoon in the sweetshop across the road.

I must admit that I thought the theatre had closed, but I went pas it on a visit to Sheffield a few years ago and it appeared to be thriving. Did it close for a time?

Indeed it did. For a time it was a “rock” venue then it closed and a proposed night club failed to gain planning permission before its final major refurbishment and reopening.

• Like 1